Wiring in a light with 3 core and earth

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Trying to wire in a light outside for a one way switch, but the cable is 3 core and earth (brown, black, Grey, copper) and the light only has 3 terminals L, N and E. Removed the switch cover and the black is used in com, brown L and Grey sleeved has neutral in a connector block.
How do I correctly wire in the light?

Sponsored Links
Grey with blue sleeve is the neutral

Either brown or black is the switched live, need more detail on the switch. I guess there’s another cable coming to the switch? Where does that connect. maybe the blue is connected to the grey on the 3-core? Where does the brown connect?

a picture writes a thousand words.

Yeah black I assume is being used as switch live as it is in the COM terminal. There is a another cable going into the switch as there is two grey cables in a connector block and two brown cables in L in the switch. Unable to get photo atm

Yeah black I assume is being used as switch live as it is in the COM terminal.

Well, that ain't normal, as the COM really should have the two browns in it and the black should be in the L terminal. But it'll work OK as it is,
Therefore, the black is the switched live to the light (should have a brown sleeve on it), grey with a blue sleeve is neutral. The bare conductor should not be bare, it is the earth. It should have a green/yellow sleeve both ends, be connected to earth at the switch and to the E terminal at the light.

Sponsored Links
I see, that’s where the confusion is. So to confirm
Grey with blue sleeving in N terminal
Bare copper with earth sleeving in E terminal
Brown and black with brown sleeving in L terminal?

NO. You only need the black (switched live) to the L on the light. The brown (permanent live)is not used and needs to terminate in a separate insulated terminal block of some sort.

the black OR the brown could go into the L terminal.

We can't tell from here without a pic of the rear of the switch

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back