3 core new colours - wiring my outside light with PIR

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, im wiring my outside light with PIR. On the light terminal block i have L,N,E. Operating the light is a 3 core cable, ive had my multi meter on and Grey and Black im getting 240, Grey and Brown 240, Brown and Black nothing. So what should I do from here? Im I going to be left with one spare cable? Please help me as its driving me crazy LOL! Kind regards. Dave.

Sponsored Links
brown and black are live. you may find one of them is switched by a switch indoors to bypass the pir. ?

Just to be a bit more specific. The light outside is operated from within the house by a double gang light switch. The left side switch is a two way for my hall way and the right is for my outside light. Like I said the cable that operates the light is a 3 core new colours. Im really confused dont know where the extra core will go!

Been thinking if I was to wire the light up and have one spare cable would the PIR still operate?

Sponsored Links
Been thinking if I was to wire the light up and have one spare cable would the PIR still operate?

Yes, although the spare wire would need to be terminated, preferably into an extra piece of screw terminal block. If you choose the wrong wire, you may find that the switch inside the house does nothing.

It seems as if you may have neutral, one permanent live, which should go to L on the fitting, and a switched live that should be wired directly to the PIR output/lamp to allow the PIR to be overridden in the 'on' position.

I assume when you say you have three core, you actually mean three core and earth?

Thanks electronicsuk, just one question so the neutral would be my spare cable is that what you saying? regards Dave.

Thanks electronicsuk, just one question so the neutral would be my spare cable is that what you saying? regards Dave.

No, you will need to connect the neutral, earth and one of the live wires. However, experimentation will be required if you don't have a test meter, as one of them is likely to be live 24/7, and the other controlled by the switch. However, as you seem to know which are live and which is neutral in your first post, it's fair to assume you will be able to test with the switch in both positions and work out which live is switched.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back