eaves, lap tiles & birds

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm replacing my guttering and I found a gap between the barge board a lap tile which is allowing the birds to get in & out to build a nest.

They are not in the loft space.

I notice that the gap between the barge board and each tile elsewhere is filled with mortar, however quite a few are in poor condition.

I looked at something called an eaves comb filter, but this will require removal of all the tiles. A job I'm not capable of.

My question is if was ok to originally fill the gap with mortar when the house was built is it OK for me to fill the gap with expanding foam to stop the birds getting in and out?

Will it prevent ventilation.

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
What kind of tiles do you have?

a picture would help.

i'm assuming you are talking about the fascia board as opposed to barge board.

you cannot do anything till the birds have finished nesting...

if you can slide up the eaves course of tiles it wont be difficult to install eaves comb filler units.

Why not just repoint the gaps with mortar ?

I cant see a problem with this as long as there is some sort of undercloaking, suppose you could do it with expanding foam but i imagine this would look an eyesore!

(Undercloakings are a tile, slate or grey asbestos like strip that the cement sits on between the bargeboards and edge tiles).

If the cement is straight onto the bargeboard timber, or lots of it is loose or cracked and there is no undercloaking then i would recommend you hire a roofer to rerun your verges with new undercloakings.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for all the replies.
Yes I did mean facia board.
I can see the undercloaking so I think i'll replace the mortar.

As to the birds leaving the nest. I really don't want that on my conscience.
I've seen young ones around the garden so assumed the second brood had left. I've seen bird(s) flying in & out over the last few weeks, but assumed that by now it was more a resting place than a nesting place.

Shall I leave it a few more weeks before blocking? It's accessible more a nuisance to get the ladder out & the new guttering down.

some birds do not stop laying till the end of august (so i'm told)

they wont be resting! if you are still seeing activity they are still nesting.

some birds do not stop laying till the end of august (so i'm told)

they wont be resting! if you are still seeing activity they are still nesting.
Let brids get in the way of making wedge "never" ,evict the buggers ;) :evil:We were once stripping a roof and there was a sparrows nest with chicks that were about a week away from leaving the nest.We put nest and chicks in a bucket,put half slate on top,hung over a scaffold tube and the birds fed their young and we seen em fly before job was done,im a big softy really. :oops:

reminds me of the time around 20yrs ago i was working for the la following the joiners who were patching up the facings and soffits, for us to renew the gutters.
they were blocking in the nesting chicks!! till i came along and undid their patches...:cool: .
summoned to gestapo headquarters i had to explain to them my humane actions..they came round to my way of thinking and postponed the work till the end of the season :D .

sorry for the hi jack.. ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back