Ecoflam minor 1 models and "Burbling" B52 burner

Hi Stuartt did you ever get to the bottom of this problem? I have a customers burner doing exactly the same. I changed the fuel pump because it was leaking past the seals and it came with a new solenoid. Set pump at 100psi and no change to sooting smoke from burner. Definitely running rich. renewed nozzle as a matter of course and cleaned out combustion chamber. Tried a new photocell which I carry on van but no difference. Time was running out so I will have to return but I'm a bit confused on this. Maybe you can help?

Conventional Flue and changing the air setting makes no difference to smoking although restictiong the reading to 0 as opposed number 9 makes the burner quieter.

regards Jim

Sponsored Links
Does you burner have a fully closing damper flap on the air intake? Take off the intake nozzle and make sure it is not stuck if fitted. It is only a gravity operation and gets gummed up if not serviced regularly.

It does. The flap is free to move. The air intake is on the RHS as you look at the burner situated in the boiler. I've seen ecoflams with the air adjustment on the intake round inlet, but this ecoflam has a horizontal slot numbered 0 to 9 on the back of the burner. There's a bolt head. Loosen it and you can slide the bolt head from 0 to 9 but it makes no difference, although on 0 the burner is quieter although still kicks out far too much smoke. cheers

Jim

Hi guys,

Firstly thanks for all your input....

I've managed to get an engineer round. The problems was that it was running REALLY rich and was sooted up to hell and back. He's cleaned it up, changed the nozzle - a new one - setup the mix, got the CO2 dead on at 10.5% (supposed to be 10-11%), ppm is about right, pump pressure is 100 psi and its now burning ok.

However, its still burbling on start up.

To get the startup burbling down he can make it much richer but then the CO2 is wrong.

We're thinking its the oil solinoid. When looking at the pressure its 100 psi when its running. But when its firing up its slightly moving perhaps 80-110psi. It only does this slight fluctuation for perhaps 1 or 2 seconds and ONLY at light up.

He's thinking it could be the oil solinoid - not opening cleanly. Does this seem like a possible culprit? The pump is only 18 months old though.

Thanks again

Stuart

I occasionally find that a rumble on start up is due to incorrect electrode settings...usually too far back due to wear. Just a thought!
John :)

Sponsored Links
Hi Jim,

After a full service and resetting the mix it was still burbling at start up. We also swapped the solenoid and even tried a new pump but still burbled. Only way to get it quieter was to completely open up the air. You'd think this would make it worse but it helped a fair bit.

My installation is on the side of the house where the wind blows up the valley and blows into the flue. Perhaps this is effecting the air flow?

As my installation is quite old, 12yrs, I will just throw it next summer.

Oh - just remembered, I think I'm using a 60deg H nossle - at one point when it seemed to be quiet a couple of years ago I think a HS nossle was fitted.

Hope this helps

Stuartt, you're right but I sorted it yesterday. Thanks for replying. As a pointer for others it turned out his flue was probably partially blocked after a few days of driving wind and rain here. I found the cause by removing all baffles and then firing the boiler. It ran almost perfect as it was able to breathe better. I then replaced one baffle at a time and ran the boiler in between each baffle addition. This also allowed the flue to dry out. He's having the flue cleaned tomorrow and then i'll return and set up the CO2 and settings correctly.

Best regards Jim

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back