Economy 7 and Consumer Unit

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all
I moved into my house about 2 years ago (1935 semi) - a building firm had renovated it including central heating, plastering, carpets etc etc.
Anyway, we have a consumer unit in the living room cupboard with various circuits (downstairs ring, upstairs ring, kitchen, cooker, lights up and lights down). No problem with that. We also, adjacent, have an Economy 7 meter. I'm not overly bothered by it, i sometimes try to get my washing machine on after 12am etc, but sometimes can't be bothered.

Anyway, sorry for rambling.....i noticed this weekend, a 2nd consumer unit beneath the main one (very observant having lived there for 2 years), with 6 circuits, all labelled, heater 1, heater 2 etc. I assume these would have been for when the house had storage heaters before the renovation.

Eventually, i would like to have some electric in my garden, shed, loft - i was wondering whether this consumer unit could be used for this when the time comes? I have read that perhaps Economy 7 will only switch the 2nd consumer unit on of a night, in which case, thats no good. Is this correct? Could this be rectified cheaply?

Also, i can see 2 main cables feeding each consumer unit, but can only see 2 cables coming from the main consumer unit. It's confusing as to where the others could be? The consumer unit is not situated on a partition wall, so no cables fed behind it. It's weird.But thats a seperate issue. If you have any ideas then that would be great? I switch each trip switch off and it affects the correct area, so just baffling as to where these cables are.

Thanks

Andy

Sponsored Links
A picture paints a 1000 words.
Unless you have night storage heaters then I would get the Economy 7 taken out and a normal meter fitted. Economy 7 is only any good if something 40% of you electricity is used during off peak (I can't remember the exact figure?). Your lekky supplier should change the meter for free and then you can hunt around for a cheap tariff.
I don't see why your old board can't be used for the garden/shed, with some modifications, but I will wait until we have a picture.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back