economy 7

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Does anyone have any good advice for me regarding electricity tariffs? We have a new heating system which uses a 300L thermal store heated by electricity, a solar panel, and a wood burner to store water for heating radiators and hot water. In the winter, it makes sense to go economy 7: we can top up the thermal store with night-rate electricity for about 3-4 pence a unit, instead of the usual 10-12 pence for normal rate electricity. But we have to pay a bit extra for the electricity we use in the day - maybe 15-16 pence. This is fine, except that during the summer we probably won't use any electricity during the nighttime - which means we pay the higher day rate to no great advantage...
At this point, I don't even know how much electricity we will use during the year (just moved in). Any ideas anyone? Economy 7 or not Economy 7, that is the question...

Sponsored Links
I am no expert on this. However, I did a study, taking daily readings, on a couple of houses I had to try to determine this very issue. On the tariffs then applying, I found it saved money to go E7 because the fridges and freezers ran 24/7 and I used a timer on the washing machine, dishwasher and tumble drier. In neither house did I use an immersion heater.

didthathurt said:
.....I used a timer on the washing machine, dishwasher and tumble drier......

Just been to a house today to look at a faulty dishwasher, the cables at the bottom of the door get stress damage due to the constant bending. In this case it did not cause a fire - however, I have had this type of damage on my own dishwasher and we had a v-small fire licking up it's front. We are lucky that this hapened when someone was in the house and awake. For this reason alone I would recommend that dishwashers are only used when the home is occupied (but not sleeping)

Sponsored Links
@didthathurt... thanks for your reply, your advice gives me a good starting point, at least. I'll go economy 7 for a year and keep records of where the electricity is going. having settled that, my next problem is knowing whether to go for the 'no standing charge' rates or if paying £15 a quarter might be worth it for the slight reduction in daytime rate...
If there is anyone out there works for an electricity company: Why does this have to be so complicated?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back