Economy ten

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Can economy 10 heating be switched off in the summer ? My energy provider has told me that I should be able to switch it off and just use an em immerser heater and electric shower . Most people switch their heating off for the summer months and I know some folk with economy 10 that do , but my heating system is all tied together if I switch it off I get no hot water or shower . Any info would be great thanks

Sponsored Links
What have you got? Storage heaters and hw cylinder?

If storage heaters, don't they have a switch on the heater or socket that supplies each one?

Whatever you have, it would be a very odd system that needed the heating to be on all year.

Hi thanks for answering me . I have a comi boiler it's a big tank with a smaller tank on top! ( I'm a woman ) next to that there's three switches water heater 1 and 2 that have cables going in to thermostats in the bottom of the tank the third switch just says heating .. which turnes the heating programme timer on and off . There is the "fifas" 12 kw heating box on the wall that can only be turned off by its own switch in the mains breaker box . There is a thermostat in the hall . There is also a water heater switch in the kitchen next to the fifas box .we have switched the three switches off and left the water heater switch on and had no hot water or shower .the system was put in 8 years ago we had a problem with water coming out of the top boiler and discovered it had been put in without a overflow ! I forgot to say it's hot water radiators not storage but I'm sure you would have guessed that .

Sponsored Links
I have no knowledge of the FIFAS electric boilers but appears to be the elec equivalent of a heat-only gas boiler. Perhaps someone with more knowledge of such a system can help.

In the meantime - Does the FIFAS boiler heat the water as well? Are either of water heater switches 1 and 2 turned on?

It's possible that the FIFAS boiler heats the water in the combination cylinder (not technically a boiler) and the radiators. In summer, you may just use the boiler to heat the water in the cylinder. Or possibly, the boiler may be swiched off completely in summer and the immersion elements 1 and 2 are used to heat the hot water in cylinder. The electric shower shouldn't be affected.

However, without seeing your installation, all of the above is a guess.

http://www.kiltox.co.uk/products/heating/electric_wet_central_heating_systems_&_boilers.htm

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back