ECV

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I went out to service a boiler recently and came across a fan cock type ECV. I advised the customer that this may be NCS, although checking through all of my books, I can not see anything relating o this. Do ECV's have to be the 'lever type' or are 'fan cock types' acceptable.

I realise that this would be a TRANSCO job to change the ECV but I want to find out the black and white, so to speak, before confirming the best course of action to the customer.

Thanks for your time.

Mark

Sponsored Links
if the cock is stiff they may change it (or just free it off).

My last sevice tonight had one fitted. I don't like them but they are legal.

I spent a good 5 mins though with my sprint 2000 trying to detect a leak from it so it would be replaced, but to no avail :rolleyes:

Sponsored Links
If the householder thinks he smells gas, transco will come out and test. If they say it is safe, then you are as well.

Butterfly valves are acceptable with restrictions, valve should be lugeed,dust and debris checked for and within pressure range.

Butterflys are suitable upto 100mbar MOP(Max operating pressure) and dust and devris should be checked to ensure full and clean closure of the valve.

Oh by the way i'm still looking into the 3mm anulas for sleeves.

As they where fitted onto low pressure gas service pipes 40plus years ago the 100mb won`t come into it and if they didn`t close properly this would cause letby and transco would either clean/regrease or change as with any ecv

got it ino my head that he'd wrote butterfly, a disc on a rod that turns through 90 but restricts gas flow, probably got myself confused cos never actually seen a fan cock as an ECV(only as isolators on cookers) but butterfly with varying handles occasionaly.

Love the wikipedia pages though.

probably got myself confused cos never actually seen a fan cock as an ECV(only as isolators on cookers) but butterfly with varying handles occasionaly.
Butterfly valves used as ECVs? Are we talking commercial and industrial here?

Sometimes, seen one in a victorian semi now converted into offices but is redundant but still in place. there's a 3inch service into the original house, strange but is in the middle of town.

Thanks for your replies Gents.

I returned to the property today after the customer called me to say that he had smelled a whiff of gas. I smelt nothing when I got there and all let-by and tightness tests were fine, no variation at all. Gas sniffer picked nothing up but for peace of mind, I called Transco. They came, tested, replaced the ECV and the meter governor and said that they were happy with it.

Job done, thanks again. :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back