Edge band trimmer

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
Got some iron on edging to fit on a 2.1m run of howdens end panel. Did some recently, and it was just about ok, but wasn’t too happy with the finish, which I trimmed using a Stanley knife.
This time I’ve bought one of these: https://www.axminster.co.uk/axminster-workshop-edgebanding-trimmer-200099
But never having used one, wondered if anyone’s got any tips? Not sure if any adjustments needed or just grip it and slide it down the work piece to trim it?
I’ll do a practice run, but any info appreciated thanks.

Sponsored Links
Last trim I bought was ready to fit and self adhesive required no trimming .

Yeah, YouTube was my next stop.
This one does need trimming, there’s about 3mm overhang each side. It’s one of those jobs you only get one shot at...

Sponsored Links
Tried 'em and still have my Virutex one. They don't work at all well on veneers, though (OK enough on thin melamine when gripped firmly). TBH a heavy block plane chisel (extra sharp) or a cheap yellow plastic Stanley glass scraper with a fresh blade can do just as well

This one’s just melamine so I may be ok, glass scrapers a good shout thanks

apply impact adhesive both to the work top raw edge and the edging strip - allow them to dry - then offer the edging strip up leaving it high proud above the work top surface, and over the postformed front edge - use a hammer to lightly tap back the proud upstand, and allow it to break off - it will break roughly at the corner line - then use a 150mm flat smooth file to remove the waste and chamfer the corner edge.
a warm ironing helps cement the bonding.

no way would i use a trimmer.

Thanks, it’s an iron on jobbie this one, no adhesive going onto 18mm melamine, not a worktop. Would you still say don’t use the edge trimmer? I wouldn’t use one on a worktop.

cheap rolls of 18mm edging strip are available as i'm sure you know.
thing is, if i understand, with an 18mm strip on an 18mm edge there's no extra few mm's of waste to play with - you've got to be spot on when applying the strip.
so why would you need a trimmer? the smooth file will chamfer the corners and remove any squeezed glue.
you can use say a strip of cardboard to blind the surface before ironing the edging down.
i would, as i say above, always use contact adhesive on both surfaces, custom iron-on strips or not.

It’s howdens strip to go with a particular colour of kitchen, so I don’t think I can just go and buy a cheap off the shelf roll.
It’s 25mm wide, so deffo needs trimming. If it was 18mm then yeah that’d be easier.

It’s howdens strip to go with a particular colour of kitchen, so I don’t think I can just go and buy a cheap off the shelf roll.
It’s 25mm wide, so deffo needs trimming. If it was 18mm then yeah that’d be easier.
What colour?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back