Effect of Flood on Gravel and Block Paving

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
As luck would have it four days after the completion of our gravel front drive leading into block pave paths and patio a water main burst up the road and flooded the front garden. The house is on a slope and the water ran down and collected in ankle deep pools for a couple of hours before the water company arrived to pump it away and fix the leak.

My concern is the impact on the gravel base and what might happen to the edging stones and block paving long term with that amount of standing water having soaked in quickly and then drying out. I know it rains but this is a bit different!

I just need a bit of info to see if there is any prospect of damage to talk sensibly to the water company at this stage. Cheers.

Sponsored Links
You say it built up. So I assume you don't have fantastic drainage. How long did it hang around after the water was cut off?

Also, what soil type do you have?
what were the blocks laid on (sand, cement, hardcore)?
does the gravel have any membrane or base layer under it?

Thanks for the reply. It didnt hang around long aftern the supply was cut off. We do have decent drainage (for rain) it was just too much for it given the rate it was flowing at and was pooling around it.

We have pretty hard red ish soil - not sure what type you would call it. The blocks were laid on a hardcore then sand base and the gravel laid to a hardcore base without a membrane. The edging cobbles were laid in cement/sand mix on the hardcore base.

Hope that helps!

Sponsored Links
no different to heavy rainfall, it will do no harm, if its been constructed properly

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back