Effficency rating of an old Potterton Netaheat 10-16 boiler?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, our house has an old Potterton Netaheat 10-16 MKII boiler. Does anyone know what it's effficency and BTU rating it is? Tried the Potterton website, but it's not listed being so old and no email address to ask.

Thinking of replacing it with a 90% effficency condensing boiler, since I hear you can get a discount on them if your existing boiler is over 15yrs old. So want to try and justify it by working out somekind of potential yearly savings so know how long it'll take to start paying for itself.

On a related note, anyone know of any good deals on condensing boilers suitable for a 4-bedroom detached house?

Sponsored Links
10 - 16 is in kW, 33-55kBtu/hr.
Efficiency at sedbuk.com is mid 60's%

since I hear you can get a discount on them if your existing boiler is over 15yrs old
Not heard of that. All boilers bar a few are condensing now.

Sponsored Links
Teak
Am kin exactly same position..just hope mine lasts the winter..will then get a system boiler installed.
What boiler s are you looking at?

Chris R

I see where the 10/16 comes from now..is that input or output. So would it have been set up to a fixed fire rate by the original installer? Mine only just copes in very cold weather..it only needs to keep going for a few months though!

Couldn't find this boiler on www.sedbuk.com

Thanks

No mention of Netaheats on sedbuk database that I can find either. Where do you guys get your figures?

The input of the 10 - 16 is 20.9 kW (max) and the output 16.1 (max), so it's notional efficiency is about 77%, which compares well with modern non-condensing boilers at around 80%.

The sedbuk assessment takes account of more realistic conditions, but it's hard to see how this could drop to 65%. I suspect the older boilers have been given an unrealistically low efficiency figure to encourage upgrading to condensing boilers.

No mention of Netaheats on sedbuk database that I can find either. Where do you guys get your figures?

:eek:

Search Database - Refine Search - type in Netaheat in Model name .

Yes the actual output is set by the installer. You need the knob turned right up for max output as well of course. If you hear any kettling noises that means scale, which is an insulator, inside the boiler so you get less efficience and less output.
It's a fair bet that these boilers are suffering from some amount of sludge in the system by now, which kills outputs.

If your boiler is switching on and off, blame the heat distribution not the boiler.

ChrisR said:
Search Database - Refine Search - type in Netaheat in Model name .
That's what I did the first time, but I made the stupid mistake of entering Potterton as the manufacturer :rolleyes: . You have to leave it blank or enter Baxi Potterton.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back