Egger D4 foaming polyurethane adhesive query

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all..

Just wondering if anyone has used this adhesive consistently in the recent past:

http://www.egger.com/UK_en/products/?N=4294964873+21&R=product-4974-uk-en

Once upon a time, the bits that foamed out of gaps between floor deck boards had to be removed with a knife and the cured glue was always a little bit plastic/bendy, but the latest batch of bottles I have smells a bit different and the foam just crumbles to dust under light pressure, kinda like a Quavers crisp would

Does anyone else find this, or do I have a bad batch of glue here?

Sponsored Links
Bit of feedback on this - my own testing, backed up by Eghger's technical line giving the same responses

It's apparently entirely normal for this glue to behave like this in low temperatures and it can be exacerbated by dry conditions

I took 4 bits of flooring, wet 2 of them, glued them all and then left a wet and dry pair to bond on site and took the other wet and dry pair home to sit in the warm. The warm, wet glue bonded and turned squishy/flexible/tough soonest, followed by the warm dry one. The site glued items took a full 3 days longer to become squishy/flexible/tough, though the wet one bonded a bit better

I subsequently had the installers spray the decking with a fence sprayer just to moisten it a little as there wasn't a lot I could do about the temperature. The build was unusual in that it's more dry than normal, not only for the recent weather conditions, but because the external skin of the timber frame already exists (and with no large window openings) so the air inside the building tends to stay more dry than outside, particularly at night

I'd recommend anyone having the same query with a foaming adhesive, if the temp is low (it was max 14 degrees on site recently) to leave it a very long time and see how it goes..

Sponsored Links
thanks for the feedback really handy
did you try a destruction [seperation] test on both warm and cold samples

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back