Eggshell versus Rich Matt

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've stuck some dulux rich matt on the bathroom ceiling (goes on pink dries white) but after observing the forum i am starting to wonder if i should cover it with eggshell (whilst i'm in there tiling).

We don't have a mould problem and there is an extractor fan in the bathroom so i'm just after the voice of experience here.

Cover it with eggshell or leave it be?

Cheers!

Sponsored Links
If the ceiling is smooth and you dont have a mould problem then leave it in matt...eggshell might highlight any surface deviations you have if the ceilng is smooth

It's not like me to go against Zampa ,(apart from 1 major topic that I wont mention :p ) but if it were me, I wouldn't leave a bathroom ceiling with rich matt emulsion on it, even though you haven't got a problem at the moment.
I'd go over it with eggshell or satin oil based as the rich matt is totally unsuitable for a bathroom. Most of the probs on bathroom ceilings these days is because they're done in a water based.... I know some are supposed to be specifically for bathrooms but time and again, problems arise.

My favourite way, (to save time) of dealing with bathroom / shower ceilings , is to mix , half undercoat and half gloss and then a nice "sponge over" in future is easy.

Never used to have problems when we glossed 'em.

Hi Susannah... ;)

Never used to have problems when we glossed 'em

You had to paint your own prison cells?... :evil:

Oh well at least he didnt mention one coat gloss.......again! :LOL:

It's not like me to go against Zampa
:eek:

I thought Rich matt was just a poncy vinyl matt...which is ok in bathrooms when the ventilation is ok...but I must admit (throught gritted teeth) :LOL: that eggshell will be easier to wipe down and will stand up to steam etc better....ive got it on mine...but its papered with a superglypta...plain ceilings...eggshell/satin finish...hmmm...

Nice to see you back 'Growl'...your parole came through sooner than you expected then?

:evil:

Sponsored Links
[quote="Zampa"

Oh well at least he didnt mention one coat gloss.......again! :LOL:

Funny you should mention that.

When I said I mix half undercoat and half gloss.....the gloss I use, is the finest gloss, ever to hit the shelves. ;)

Yes, I say the finest, and it's......
Crown Solo Self undercoating One Coat Gloss

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back