EICR opinion please

Sponsored Links
If you’re employing someone that can’t even get the best price for themselves how much confidence would you have in the price they’ve provided to you???
Where I live, 8 miles to CEF and 12 miles to Screwfix, and often when I go to screwfix no stock so have to return the next day, and that's for a simple smart bulb.

We tend to look at what it is like where we live, not rest of country, and travel here is a problem, it can add a lot to price when you need to go to different supplier for one small part, it's OK as DIY you wait for next shopping day, or order on line, but watch local facebook and again and again pictures of doors, and do you know where this door is, as yet again delivery to wrong door.

Three days delay to get parts is not a problem DIY, but commercially a big part of the job is arranging things so you have not got dead hours, where nothing is booked in.

I remember being told off for not having enough stock, and the boss telling me how much one hours down time cost.

The other point is to replace any faulty part costs, so the tradesman buys at trade, and sells at retail to cover cost to replace faulty parts, it the customer buys faulty parts the tradesman can charge the customer to swap the faulty parts, but not when the tradesman has supplied, we all hope of course we will not need to return, but FOC work is a real problem where one is paying wages but getting no money in.

Where I live, 8 miles to CEF and 12 miles to Screwfix, and often when I go to screwfix no stock so have to return the next day, and that's for a simple smart bulb.

We tend to look at what it is like where we live, not rest of country, and travel here is a problem, it can add a lot to price when you need to go to different supplier for one small part, it's OK as DIY you wait for next shopping day, or order on line, but watch local facebook and again and again pictures of doors, and do you know where this door is, as yet again delivery to wrong door.

Three days delay to get parts is not a problem DIY, but commercially a big part of the job is arranging things so you have not got dead hours, where nothing is booked in.

I remember being told off for not having enough stock, and the boss telling me how much one hours down time cost.

The other point is to replace any faulty part costs, so the tradesman buys at trade, and sells at retail to cover cost to replace faulty parts, it the customer buys faulty parts the tradesman can charge the customer to swap the faulty parts, but not when the tradesman has supplied, we all hope of course we will not need to return, but FOC work is a real problem where one is paying wages but getting no money in.
Morning.

I’m with you on how much a supply base can screw up a project, sadly it happens all the time.
I guess my surprise/disappointment would be in the fact that a quote has been provided. Should the contractor be given the go ahead then I’m generally content to allow a couple of weeks to get booked in which to my mind gives ample time to prepare materials.
As a client I don’t think I’ve ever requested ‘start tomorrow’. I always generally offer to pay for major materials up front as well effectively committing to the work.

Appreciate this is generally not the case but it makes for a smoother/better experience for me. Some tradesmen resist the offer of a portion of material costs up front perhaps because they feel it commits them.

I’m very much a do what you say you’re going to do when you’ve said you’ll do it.

Sponsored Links

Completely irrelevant.

Irrelevant.

This is a quote for the job and the prices are high, given the parts are freely available at much lower cost.

Do you ever read the actual question? Sunray has stated the company is supplying and fitting.

I have Link and CEF 8 miles from home, so only if they don't have what I want will I travel 12 miles, yes I can order on line, but if ordering on line then loads of places cheaper that Screwfix that will deliver to my door.

Lidi is in same town as Screwfix so if using Lidi I will call into Screwfix, but I am not charging for my time, if it were connected to a business then I would not use Screwfix mainly as in spite of requiring to view my qualification so I could get trade discount, without saying anything they stopped giving trade discount. So often cheaper at other suppliers now.

But the main point is when I lived in North Wales Toolstation and Screwfix were just down the road, so no real point going the extra distance to go to other suppliers, but here in Mid Wales the reverse is true, and travelling to pick up supplies costs, Link and CEF could put stuff on the train for me, but not Screwfix, as train does not go to Newtown, at least not the same train.

So as we move around the country what makes sense changes, I think in Scotland they still have post buses, use to regular have things sent from Chester to Mold by bus, but Mold bus station now closed, so no one the receive it off the bus any more. Stations at Welshpool and Llanfair are manned, and I am known, so easy to get things put on the train. And for me no charge.

That is the estimate and I assume there is tht usual 'plus other as discovered ' type phrase.

it’s a bit steep so about £370 plus VAT just for time

off the top of my head I would be around £420 and I’m below the VAT threshold so that’s what you would pay.

I never seperate parts from the estimate - the cost is the cost

Point?
If you’re employing someone that can’t even get the best price for themselves how much confidence would you have in the price they’ve provided to you???
Nonsense - we don't use TLC here - one reason being there are no branches here. I only use wholesalers as they give me a better service. So my pricing would be based on what the wholesaler sells them to me at plus my markup. That's business.

Let's get back to the beginning.
Initially I asked for opinions of the continued suitability of Wylex boards as this one has been graded C1. I haven't even seen it or pics yet and don't actually know it's a Wylex but has been described, I've been asked to attend as a 'lad' as the guy being asked for 2nd opinion/remedial always goes double hander for these sorts of visits.

I heard yesterday lunchtime about the possible visit next week and the estimate at the same time.
it’s a bit steep so about £370 plus VAT just for time

off the top of my head I would be around £420 and I’m below the VAT threshold so that’s what you would pay.

I never seperate parts from the estimate - the cost is the cost
Yes it is very steep, like others I did a search (only Screwfix) for MK products and came up with total £182.45 inc VAT. I don't think 5 hours is unrealistic, especially if there are 2 there

I never really know about splitting, it has worked better both ways for me in the past but many commercial jobs (Most of my work) require the demarcation between parts and labour.

Yes it is very steep, like others I did a search (only Screwfix) for MK products and came up with total £182.45 inc VAT. I don't think 5 hours is unrealistic, especially if there are 2 there
Thanks to
£24 Mark up on each RCBO...............
I need to change careers......................
https://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Produc...lurl&msclkid=95478336f7e21b9a2385e7e39ad1d3a6
Same items at TLC price being £111.60 for MK which is cheaper than BG at £130.08

Let's get back to the beginning.
Initially I asked for opinions of the continued suitability of Wylex boards as this one has been graded C1. I haven't even seen it or pics yet and don't actually know it's a Wylex but has been described, I've been asked to attend as a 'lad' as the guy being asked for 2nd opinion/remedial always goes double hander for these sorts of visits.

Nothing wrong with the wylex boards on the whole, potential issues you might have with them are:

- Provision of additional RCD protection (but you could easily fit upfront RCD)
- Gap round the devices on the earlier models, if the 'spark cover' has been omitted rather than centre section removed
- Old push button MCBs being unreliable mechanically when operating (but you might have some spare toggle type plug in ones in stock)

Most of those issues would be a C2, a C1 would be appropiate if the fuse base was missing for example, allowing fingers into busbar (but you'd have to take immediate action to reduce the risk - even if that was hazard tape around the edges and stopping MCB being unplugged.

I don't think I'd replace it with RCBOs if being replaced, its a shed supply at the end of the day, nothing wrong with RCD incomming device in that situation, and I'm not sure TVSS is particualy usful here (although strictly speaking, you probably ought to seek disclaimer before omitting...)

Nothing wrong with the wylex boards on the whole, potential issues you might have with them are:

- Provision of additional RCD protection (but you could easily fit upfront RCD)
- Gap round the devices on the earlier models, if the 'spark cover' has been omitted rather than centre section removed
- Old push button MCBs being unreliable mechanically when operating (but you might have some spare toggle type plug in ones in stock)

Most of those issues would be a C2, a C1 would be appropiate if the fuse base was missing for example, allowing fingers into busbar (but you'd have to take immediate action to reduce the risk - even if that was hazard tape around the edges and stopping MCB being unplugged.

I don't think I'd replace it with RCBOs if being replaced, its a shed supply at the end of the day, nothing wrong with RCD incomming device in that situation, and I'm not sure TVSS is particualy usful here (although strictly speaking, you probably ought to seek disclaimer before omitting...)
I hope the units are still acceptable as I have 2 in use at home (4 including the switched fuse feeding their submains). As mentioned I/we don't yet know if it is a Wylex but yes I do have a box of spares and will take those along.

and it would have passed when designed, then no one can really say the report is in error.

My thoughts have always been C1 is simple, you can touch some thing live. So missing base for plug in MCB's yes C1, but there needs to be some thing rather drastic to warrant a C1.

If no reason for a C1 then clearly an error so original EICR is void.

Nearly everything we give a C2 to, could also be given a C3, the potentially dangerous label is pointless, as all 230 volt is always potentially dangerous, so it is at the inspectors discretion as to what has a C2 and what has a C3, missing some thing yes trading standards can and have pulled inspectors up on it, but as long as the items are listed, and it would have passed when designed, then no one can really say the report is in error.

I feel all domestic premises should have all circuits with RCD protection, but unless TT this is secondary protection, so it is only recommended. With a TT then yes C2 or even C1, but not with TN, however this is a personal opinion, there is no rule either way.
"as long as the items are listed, and it would have passed when designed, then no one can really say the report is in error."

Eric lad, can I query this part of your statement please?

Unless I misunderstood what you mean, the design etc being per regs or not at the time are no indication, in themselves, as to whether or not it is now considered satisfactory or not today. The question should be purely - do we consider it satisfactory or unsatisfactory today? does not make any difference if it was designed and built today or one hundred years ago

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back