Elastilon or Glue it down?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
What's best, or easiest, for solid wood floor laid on concrete?

I'm considering a solid bamboo, possibly the B and Q stuff but am also looking elsewhere, and using elastilon strong as this appears to be the original adhesive underlay, however other suggestions include gluing it to the concrete.

Any thoughts on the best option?

Sponsored Links
Hi, thanks for the reply.

Concrete is OK, actually it's marley tiles with the exception of a 6 inch "border" of missing tiles around the patio door area.

Would the Elastilon fill the gap of the missing tiles or should I either fit new in the gaps or take the whole lot up?

You need a DPM sheet anyway with the Elastilon on concrete. This DPM will also prevent any 'sweating' of the marley tiles getting into the wood

Sponsored Links
Thanks, so no need to repair or replace the missing tiles and then DPM followed by Elastilon, correct?

Underfloors near patio doors etc always tend to 'dip' anyway. If there are tiles missing there too it would be best to check out the 'sloop' to see of extra leveling is needed before you start to install your floor

Sloop? New trade term?

I get the point, I'll check it's level and if not I'll buy some levelling compound, hopefully it will be OK as otherwise this could turn into the project from hell :) I assume I can just level the affected area and don't need to do the whole room?

You should be getting paid for all this advice btw!

You don't sell solid bamboo by any chance?

You don't sell solid bamboo by any chance?
No, bygone trend I'm afraid (plus the best quality supplier stopped trading to the UK for some or other reason, getting it over was becoming way too expensive for us)

No, bygone trend I'm afraid (plus the best quality supplier stopped trading to the UK for some or other reason, getting it over was becoming way too expensive for us)

Bygone trend? :LOL: You're saying I'm not in with the latest fashions? You must know my kids!

Re' the levelling compound I looked at the stickies and it seems that I may well need to take up all the tiles and level the whole floor for the best job, I really hope this isn't the case.

you are supossed to remove the bitumin holding them down also by shot blasting etc.

Now this is not really possible in a domestic property but is still the correct way to do it.

IF the bitumin is thin and bonded very well then you can skim over the top with the correct smoothing compounds.

With a elastilon you dont need to worry if the floor is smooth and flat.

Thanks Matt,

This is rapidly turning into a major project and all because there's six inches of the marley tiles missing from the edegs around the patio door!

The rest of the tiles are sound and well stuck down and the whole floor seems to be quite level. The tiles themselves are only about 2mm thick, or thereabouts. Would it be possible to fill this gap, or even ignore it :confused: and then put DPM down and then elastilon?

I do realise this is not the recommended professional solution, however I'm pretty sure years ago when we had some laminate laid in the hall the tiles stayed down and that has been sat happily for around 12 years.

So the difference in height where the tiles are missing is 2mm. Make sure that's the only difference, Elastiolon can tackle some differences but not much. Also, knowing Bamboo has often short lengths you can't rely on the boards to tackle this problem on their own (long and sturdy wood-engineered often can this better, 20mm total thickness that is)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back