Elctrical test screwdriver's neon light gets brighter.

Is there anyone reading this who's ever had an electric shock from a neon screwdriver ?
The post has had 343 views if the probabilities were such that the answer to that was likely to be yes then the feelings against neon screwdrivers would be a lot harsher (yes I know there already pretty harsh on here).

Its not just the trusting the life on a resistor aspect (although valid and given the £1 price of many of them they are clearly made in factories I don’t like trusting my life with). But they give erroneous results and need to be understood properly before using, and if you know enough to understand you know enough to use a multimeter so would choose to do so, again the £1 price tag and the ‘simplicity of use’ doesn’t help.

Admittedly I still use one but don’t rely on it I check live with meter, check neon works, kill power, check dead with meter, check dead with neon, flick cable with finger to check dead, touch the cable to make quadrouple sure (does anyone else flick it after checking dead just to be super sure I’d rather get a shock when expecting it than unexpected! (note this is only after checking it is dead))

Sponsored Links
Yup - neons need about 80V to strike and once struck drop about 60V.

You can use them instead of triacs in dimmer switches...

The series resistor is there to limit the current through the neon because they exhibit negative resistance, and unless limited they'll draw more and more current until they pop.

cheers for the info!
didnt know you could use them as triacs, but there again i dont go down to component stuff.
knew the resistor was a current limiter, but again, didnt know without it a neon draws infinate current till something gives.
do know tho there a pain in the ar5e when insulation testing.
specially if you dont know its there. even worse when someone else uses one as a connector under a floor.......

Sponsored Links
Almost any tool can be dangerous if improperly used, but I'm happy to continue using my neon screwdriver as a third-level safety back-up, after switching off and checking with a voltmeter first.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back