Electric Car Drivel

Sponsored Links
Better than a very similar article I read the other day. It made out that changing the fuse was a piece of cake, the bbc article doesn't make it so clear cut. It doesn't go far enough to say it's not always possible

It does say some amusing things though.

"A typical home is fitted with a main fuse of 60-80 amps, and the National Grid points out that an 11kW car charger would require 48 amps. According to the National Grid, that means using a kettle, oven or immersion heater during charging would cause the main fuse to trip."

Hands up anybody who thinks the National Grid really did say that.

"With a 100 amp fuse, a 22kW charger could be used which would have a faster charge time of around three hours. This would, however, still require all other electrical appliances in the house to be turned off during charging."

Only everything in the house?

What's the After Diversity Maximum Demand for houses generally assumed by the designers of the LV network?

Street lights - what's the average street light consumption vs an EV charger? Have we quietly been reinforcing the street lighting network so that it can accommodate charging?

They actually did say that!

"The average household is supplied with single phase electricity and is fitted with a main fuse of 60 to 80 amps. Using a 3.5 kW battery charger requires 16 amps. If one were to use an above average power charger, say 11 kW, this would require 48 amps. When using such a charger it would mean that you could not use other high demand electrical items (such as kettles, oven, and immersion heaters) without tripping the house’s main fuse."

From http://fes.nationalgrid.com/media/1221/forecourt-thoughts-v10.pdf

Sponsored Links
They actually did say that!

"11 kW, this would require 48 amps. ... you could not use other high demand electrical items (such as kettles, oven, and immersion heaters) without tripping the house’s main fuse."

better put warning stickers on all electric showers.

Good grief.

BS 88s, aren't they (these days)?
Mostly BS-88 but WPD either have a stock of them or just stock of the stickers, but round here most new domestic cut outs are stickered as BS1361. AIUI they are very similar, just different breaking capacities.

I've heard :whistle::whistle: that a fair amount of cutout fuses are marked with both standards

And the fuse at the substation on the cable supplying maybe 20 or more properties is rated at ...... ? What happens when 10 people put their electric cars on charge at the same time ?

the intelligent charging system, and/or the smart meter, will reduce power to the person offering to pay the least.

What did you think was the point of smart meters? It's to charge customers more at times of high demand, or to reduce their usage if they won't or can't pay.

And the fuse at the substation on the cable supplying maybe 20 or more properties is rated at ...... ? What happens when 10 people put their electric cars on charge at the same time ?
Or, seemingly according to the National Grid, what happens if 10 people have showers at the same time ...

... but oh, I forget, there isn't a time of day when a lot oof people are likely to be taking showers :)

Kind Regards, John

What's the power supply to a typical lamp post?
IIRC it is 15A to a string of them. Might be a dozen or so. This was in the days when you had a timeswitch per group, each group set to come on and off at slightly different times to avoid a big surge.

Some years ago I lived in a touring caravan while working on the building of Sizewell power station, the site was designed for mainly static caravans used only during the summer months and the supply to each caravan was just 6A, we paid a fixed fee for electric so wanted to use as many items as possible electric powered rather than gas, and we found all sorts of methods to work with a 6A supply, my under sink water heater had a relay so when it demanded heat the modified fan heater (500W and 1000W) turned off, and both were turned off to use the kettle.

I am sure our houses could be modified to load share and using the shower would auto turn off the charger, this would likely produce a challenge for the charger designers, the old NiCad batteries used a constant current supply and sensed when voltage peaked and dropped which would happen just as the battery became fully charged. Removing and replacing the supply to these old Delta V chargers would either restart the drain then recharge so causing the battery to go flat, or over charge the battery.

Putting old 2 way radios in the charger while in use did not work very well, however this is done with phones on a regular basis. The chips inside laptop batteries have caused non genuine batteries to fail as they don't talk to the PC in the correct manor. In essence some chip remembers the state of charge so it can be stopped and resumed without problem, however likely we will need the charge rate to step up and down to match power used in the rest of the house so keeping total power used to below the limit where the supply fuse will rupture.

Having solar panels could also help, no reason why solar panels should not directly charge the vehicle battery in the way they charge a caravan battery today. The problem would then be you need the car at home during the day, or a second set of batteries again just like used in our phones, I charge up a battery pack while I am out, then when I pop home take that charged pack out with me and charge the phone while it is sitting in my pocket. We could do that with cars, charge up batteries with solar panels during the day and use inverters to transfer that charge to the car over night.

Since batteries are expensive this would be last resort, however it could be done.

What seems odd to me is no solar panel on the car, OK it will not power the car, but if you don't quite make it, you could leave the car and catch the bus and return next day to get it home, as it stands cars need to be recovered if the battery does not last long enough, even a small 1.5 kW generator built into the car would extend the range and mean every time you leave the car the battery could be topped up.

Where my son works there are two charging point, and three people with electric cars, who get to work earlier and earlier to get the free charging point. Once there are 50 electric cars looking to use the charging point it will become rather pointless having one.

if and when batteries become cheaper, you'll be able to charge up your house battery during the day (or night) and plug the car into it when you come home. That will work even if your house battery is big and heavy.

Some people say they will get light enough that you'll carry them into your house for charging, and swap them for the other set that was charged up while you were out.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back