electric cooker installation questions

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

Im about to wire my electric cooker Zanussi ZCV563D this weekend ( tired and sick of eating take away!) after gather some information and tools to carry out the job. Just few final questions before I carry on.

FYI, MCB is 30A for the cooker.

I bought the Twin and Earth cable 6242Y 6mm2 from B&Q as recommended from the manual. For testing purpose, I cut a short length to wire and connect it to the back of the cooker and it seems pretty straight forward. I'm aware that I have tripped the wire insulator too far back. Picture below says it all.

5044313348_d9795da9b7_m.jpg

Next bit is to connect the other end of that cable to the wall outlet, they use the old colour cable type. Pic below:

5044314368_c803690a30_m.jpg

this is my question: so I just need to unscrew the three screws in the picture above and put it the match cable i.e. Live to Live, Earth to Earth and Neutral to Neutral then screw the screws back in to connect the cooker to the wall outlet?

I'm uncertain because someone mentioned to me that to use a junction box to connect the wire.

Another thing is the Earth core in Twin and Earth cable is a single wire while inside the wall outlet, it has a bunch of smaller wires... so is it normal?

The cover of the Twin and Earth cable said to sleeve the bare Earth with a GReen/Yellow so I just need to buy a sleeve say 5cm of Green/yellow to sleeve the bare Earth to avoid it touches other cables accidentally?

Is there anything else I need to be aware of? Suggestions/feedbacks are deeply appreciated, im just tired seeing the cooker sitting there.

Cheers

Sponsored Links
Waaay too much exposed copper ;)

Yes, use that outlet to connect your cooker. All you do is feed the cable through the clamp, and connect into the three terminals. Be careful - you are mixing new and old colours, make sure you know which colour is which.

The cable in the box, if it has a stranded earth conductor, it is 10mm². Your cable is 6mm. Shouldnt be an issue. Leave a couple of metres of cable between the box and the cooker, making sure you dont trap it under the thing as you push it back.

make sure you know which colour is which.

So to avoid having to use a crystal ball

Live = red (old wire) and brown (new wire)
neutral = black (old) and blue (new)

Earth is grn / yellow

Please make sure you isolate at main board and at switch for cooker, test for dead (or end up...)

Sponsored Links
Waaay too much exposed copper ;)

Yes, use that outlet to connect your cooker. All you do is feed the cable through the clamp, and connect into the three terminals. Be careful - you are mixing new and old colours, make sure you know which colour is which.

The cable in the box, if it has a stranded earth conductor, it is 10mm². Your cable is 6mm. Shouldnt be an issue. Leave a couple of metres of cable between the box and the cooker, making sure you dont trap it under the thing as you push it back.

I gather you can get 6 mm twin+earth with stranded cpc.

JohnD mentioned it some time ago.

What is stranded cpc and what does this earth coloured heat shrink looks like?

Im heading to B&Q tomorrow to get the sleeve for Earth strand so if i need to buy another type please advice.

In DIY speak "stranded cpc" means the earth wire (the middle one). In some cables this is several small conductors (=stranded) instead of one solid conductor.
So ignore that, you don't need to know.

Also, ignore the mention of earth coloured heat-shrink sleeving.
It is unnecessary (even if you can get it on a Sunday). Just buy 5mm green/yellow sleeving, you'll be fine.

Job is done, everything works perfectly! Thank you all very much. Just few pics to show my wiring:
5046676023_6b72fef005_m.jpg

and
5047297956_4f6110c5ed_m.jpg

Too much bare copper again. Also the sheath should come out the end of the clamp. ;)

Good grief! My cable, bare copper is almost exactly same length as the wire in the outlet. If it doesn't effect anything if will just leave it like that for now.

Just because someone else did a poor job you shouldn't be following their example.

5 minutes, re do both and keep the bare copper within 1mm of terminal.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back