electric cooker installation questions

Sponsored Links
Hi,

Can you tell me if legally we can wire in a new cooker, or whether we have to get a qualified electrician to do the job for us? The new cooker is simply replacing the old one. Someone told me that if you do not get a qualified electrician to wire it in your insurance would not pay out if there were a problem ! :rolleyes:

Thanks will take a look..... the "Someone" was not the cooker supplier actually it was just a guy that i work with.... he just said that if there was to be a fire that was caused by the cooker wiring, if this was not done by a qualified electrician you could not claim under your insurance !!!!!!

Sponsored Links
I read through quite a few posts in the forum about diynot before I decided to go ahead and wire it myself. Basically, if you already have a wall outlet dedicated for your electric cooker then you dont have to notify anyone.

I dont know how that fits in with insurance policy if a fire happens. Maybe you should check it with your insurance company. I say if you're not comfortable with doing it then I hope your supplier will offer to install it for you in the day of delivery. If not, hire an electrician. Sometimes,I wish I should had done that even though now that I have wired the cooker myself.

I think you will find that it states in the installation instructions that it must be fitted by a qualified electrician, otherwise guarantee is void.

If it does say that then (assuming the owner fought it) they would have to prove in court that it was because the owner installed it, rather than a qualified electrician, that it had failed.

Companies may not get out of warranty responsibilities with generic exclusions like that.

My manual actually says an electrician or a qualified person. I was kinda surprised to see that there.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back