Electric Cooker Installation

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm about to move into a flat that is entirely electric. There appears to be no terminal outlet box for the cooker. The main control switch is fitted flush to the wall. By law is there supposed to be a terminal outlet box fitted and how do i go about rectifying the problem. I should state that the landlord would do the work but i want to get the facts right before contacting him.
Any advice and help would be greatly appreciated.

Sponsored Links
firstly afaict there are currently no laws on electrical installs domestically though there may be sepecifc regs for rental

there are the IEE wiring regs which are not law in themselves but in the event of accident it would make a *very* strong negligence case...

i cannot see any reason why a cooker outlet plate is technically needed as long as the cable is anchored decently in the wall and i have never heared of any reg that requires it

once could cut the cable where it exits the wall make a while and fit a cooker outlet plate wuite easilly if needed though

Bigfred - is there a cable coming from the control unit? - if so, surely it's not just sticking out of the wall somewhere, is it?

Sponsored Links
ive seen a cable to a cooker just appear from the wall when i was in residential school not so long ago

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back