electric cooker wiring

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi i am installing a new kitchen and i have got the cooker which is electric the cooker is 3kw,(gas hob) and i was told when i bought it that i could connect it to a plug socket! now when i opened it up it has no plug just connections for the wiring, it says in the book that it is necessary that i connect the cooker to a double pole switch it says i should use 2.5 mm cable. i was hoping that i could connect the cooker to a single fused box that comes off my fuseboard that used to feed the electric shower(which has now gone) because i've already added several sockets to the the kitchen circuit and don't want to overload it and downgrade the fuse. the book says i should use a minimum of 15 amp fuse max of 20, i have a 15amp available. but do i have to fit a cooker switch or will the fuse be ok for isolation? thanks gaz

Sponsored Links
Put the 15A fuse in the fuse box, and if the total load is only 3KW, fit a 20A double pole switch at the cooker - instead of a cooker switch. Use 2.5mm² cable to the switch, and then heat resistant flex, also 2.5mm² to the cooker.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back