Fitting electric oven

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Im wanting to remove an old gas oven and fitting an electric replacement.

There is 2 sockets on the wall, one with a fuse and a switch (there is no fuse in it currently), and one that has a normal plug and then a 'cooker' switch.

Behind the oven is a white socket that looks like the type where you hardwire an appliance in, ie. no plug.

I keep reading about 32 amp fuses for ovens but my fuseboard says 30amp trip.

Ive attatched pictures for the above.

Is it as easy as connecting an electric cooker up or is there anything that needs to be done to the existing circuit?

Attachments

• IMG_20210630_214022.jpg
    IMG_20210630_214022.jpg
    85.9 KB · Views: 109
  • IMG_20210630_213957.jpg
    IMG_20210630_213957.jpg
    193.3 KB · Views: 105
  • IMG_20210630_213508.jpg
    IMG_20210630_213508.jpg
    230.7 KB · Views: 104
Sponsored Links
British oven normally under 13 amp, EU oven often up to 16 amp, so it will depend on the oven if a fused connection unit (FCU) or cooker connection unit is used.
Most ovens ive seen so far require a 32 or 45 amp supply.......

Sponsored Links
I mean an oven.

It gets hot, it cooks your food, it has a hob on top.........
Are you describing a freestanding single appliance containing an oven and a hob fitted together by the manufacturer

such as this cooker :
images

or something like this oven:
images
?

Last edited:
Sorry mate, you're using the wrong word.
Does it really matter, dont people have any common sense anymore, so i got the word wrong.......

The question is the same whether oven or cooker, its an appliance that needs a 32 amp but my current circuit is a 30 amp.

Does it really matter, dont people have any common sense anymore, so i got the word wrong.......

The question is the same whether oven or cooker, its an appliance that needs a 32 amp but my current circuit is a 30 amp.

Yes, does matter. The question is NOT the same whether oven or cooker - they have very different power requirements, as has already been explained to you.
If you'd told us the above to start with, you'd have got an answer right away. As it is, we simply didn't have the information needed to provide an answer, as it would depend on what, exactly, your "cooker" was. That's why we asked!!!

The fact that you didn't realise there was a difference between an oven and cooker is not your fault, but you should now!

Let's see if anyone will answer now, I'm not going to (unless you want to pay me my hourly rate, minimum one hour).

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back