Electric cuts out but doesn't trip the fuse box

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We have always had a pump for our water pressure (live in a flat) and a washing machine hooked up to he same socket. Never been a problem in ten years, but in the last week it has intermittently been cutting off and on. If I switch the socket off and on a few times I get it working again, or if left for ages, it cuts back in itself. The fuse box is fine, never trips during all this. Added to that, in the bedroom, the light which is controlled by a dimmer (always has been, again without problem), has been switching off and on, on it's own accord. Any ideas what it up, or do I need to call the Ghostbusters instead?! Thank you.

Sponsored Links
Is it the pump that required to be switched on/off or is it the socket outlet. ie if you plugged another appliance to this socket would it work without any additional help?
The dimmer sounds like a loose connection may be the problem or the electronic components are starting to fail. I assume it does not switch on when in the off position?

It's the socket that needs switching off and on with regards to pump/washing machine.

Yep-the light switches on when off!

Thank you.

try a different socket.

If socket 1 doesn't work, and socket 2 does, it's probably the socket or its cable, especially if it is on a spur.

10p says a poor connection heating up where the wires go into the terminals. 5p on it being the N.

Sponsored Links
If it's socket issue then I would stake a shilling to a bob that it's a loose connection on the socket plate.
If the light comes of when the switch is open, either something spooky is happening or you have a bridge across the switch live.
Are you sure the switch is open? I would replace the switch with standard rocker as temp solution and see how it functions.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back