Electric fire plug

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have just bought a new fire surround with an electric fire. It is mainly for cosmetic purposes, as we have central heating. The question I want to ask is would it be ok to cut off the plug (as it is the sealed unit, for the want of a better term, kind) and then replace it with a normal 3 pin plug. The reason is I have to drill a hole through the wall so the fire can be plugged in and I do not want to drill a hole the size of the plug, if that makes sense, if I can cut the plug off, I will then only have to drill a smaller hole, then rewire the plug once it has been pushed through.

I hope it is not as silly a question as it sounds and thanks to anyone that can help.

Sponsored Links
Sure, no problem.

Make sure the fuse in the new plug is the same amperage as the old one that you cut off.

Cutting off a sealed plug will invalidate your warranty. :rolleyes:

Well, that is what is often stated but is rubbish. :LOL:

Sponsored Links
Open up the fire, remove the lead, thread it through the hole and reconnect to the fire if you really want to invalidate the warranty.

Thanks for the replies, so what would happen with the warranty if the plug got damaged in any way, say cracked, you are not going to leave a damaged plug on it, so if that happened in the first year of the warranty, it would have to be replaced, surely.

Open up the fire, remove the lead, thread it through the hole and reconnect to the fire if you really want to invalidate the warranty.
I'm sure there was supposed to be a 'not' in there somewhere.

Thanks for the replies, so what would happen with the warranty if the plug got damaged in any way, say cracked, you are not going to leave a damaged plug on it, so if that happened in the first year of the warranty, it would have to be replaced, surely.

Removing the plug will not invalidate your warranty.

But do remember to smash the cut off plug (flatten pins) so that little ones can't plug it in.

Removing the plug will not invalidate your warranty.

But do remember to smash the cut off plug (flatten pins) so that little ones can't plug it in.

Or just grab 'em with a pair of pliers and give them a twist. Generally easier.

Or just remove the fuse which is easier still.

Desroying so its not possible to plug in is the best way, in fact its sometimes in the manufacturers instructions nowadays, as they are aware some people cut them off.
There are homes with reverse polarity sockets and its been known to find voltages between N and E so in my veiw fuse removal would not be adequate

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-glasgow-west-12752128

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back