Electric Hand Planer Advice

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,

I'm thinking of buying my dad a planer for Christmas (and/or birthday!). He does general DIY & woodworking. From a bit of browsing, it seems I need:
- true base plate - difficult to find this out before buying :(
- switchable exhaust
- collection bag

My budget is £40 - £90. My current shortlist is:
I'd be grateful for any thoughts/opinions/advice!

Thanks a lot,
Adam

Sponsored Links
either one for quality BBBUUUTTT
the ryobi has a bag a planer will send the shaving several feet and form a snow storm indoors or out so bag is essential

I have the bosch one, with the bag. I can't remember if the bag came with it or if I got it seperately. Decent planer though.
Not awkward once you had a bit of a practice though.

Sponsored Links
bosch all the way,

im sure big-all will be along in a mo to suggest ryobi,OH hes already posted :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: ;)

I'm currently using a Bosch GHO 26-82
http://www.screwfix.com/prods/55295/Power-Tools/Routers-Planers/Bosch-GHO-26-82-2-6mm-Planer-110V
Decent enough but one problem I've found with it is the ejection ports simply aren't big enough, it clogs up all the time no matter how shallow a setting it's on. I find myself with the planer in one hand and a long thin stick to poke out the shavings in the other.
As to bags I find them to be ok in the right circumstances, they do fill quickly but if you are on a site I find it easier to just sweep up afterwards.

:LOL: :LOL: :LOL:
IVE NEVER DONE ANYTHING LIKE THAT,
ok i lied,i opened up the fleshy bit of my thumb where it joins the wrist with a hand saw,IT WAS a new 1 mind. :cry:

Must have been blunt, I cut my left thumb in half thru the nail with one thrust of my new hand saw.

I cut my left thumb in half thru the nail with one thrust of my new hand saw.

Done that several years ago :oops: really cold weather, I'm wearing gloves and manage to saw through the end of the thumb, bother I thought, then blood started coming out , took the glove off and I've got a thumb with a fliptop end. Sent to a&e where a nurse put it in some sort of fizzing greenish liquid and bandaged me up. Then to finish gave me a tetanus shot in my right arm which by the next day was stiff. Still went to work the next day but literally couldn't do a thing :LOL:

Must have been blunt, I cut my left thumb in half thru the nail with one thrust of my new hand saw.

no it was a brand new saw,funny thing was when i done it,i was just staring at it and just to make sure i pulled the saw back,so it went even deeper :LOL:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back