Electric heaters - need to extend the cable length - but how ?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I want to drop a few 800w and 3kw heaters into a couple of shops to help with the cold weather but the supplied cable is only about 1m/1.5m long, not nearly long enough.

The prospective units are from Costco:

800w - http://www.costco.co.uk/view/p/dimplex-800w-panel-heater-arlwp800ti-159623
3000w - http://www.costco.co.uk/view/p/dimplex-cadiz-eco-3kw-oil-free-radiator-cde3ecc-177536

I want to put the 800w ones on the wall and run a cable down. If it had the length, I'd just put into a socket but I am loathed to run it from an extension.

Can I use a terminal block and some 2.5mm2 heat resistant cable to extend or is there a better way ? If a terminal block is ok, can I just tape it with insulation tape ?

I was considering trunking it down the walls but if I use a terminal block I am not sure it will fit into the trunking (unless I get a bigger size).

I guess I could run a spur from a socket and hard wire directly but again, without disconnecting the wire from within the appliance to run longer cable, I would still have to extend somehow.

Any help appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Can I use a terminal block and some 2.5mm2 heat resistant cable to extend or is there a better way ? If a terminal block is ok, can I just tape it with insulation tape ?
Terminal blocks should be enclosed - so, not on their own.
Why would you need heat resistant cable 1m/1.5m from the heater.

I was considering trunking it down the walls but if I use a terminal block I am not sure it will fit into the trunking (unless I get a bigger size).
:whistle:

I guess I could run a spur from a socket and hard wire directly but again, without disconnecting the wire from within the appliance to run longer cable, I would still have to extend somehow.
Fit a spur (the spur is the cable) and a flex outlet or fused connector unit, depending on whether you need a fuse.
Fit flex outlet near enough to the heater that you don't need to extend the flex.

Sponsored Links
Am I the only one that's noticed the
I want to drop a few 800w and 3kw heaters into a couple of shops
part of the post?

All of these options sound very much like they need an electrician.

A single way extension lead would be my recommendation. Certainly the cheapest (legal) option

I want to drop a few 800w and 3kw heaters into a couple of shops

Are you competent as required by the Electricity at Work Regulations to to this work?

Are you competent as required by the Electricity at Work Regulations to to this work?

These have plugs on to plug into the wall. I just need to adapt that or we can simply run extension cables and have done with it.

These have plugs on to plug into the wall. I just need to adapt that
No - you may not do a single thing to the fixed wiring in the shop(s), nor to the flexes which are fitted to the heaters.

or we can simply run extension cables and have done with it.
As long as you carry out a risk assessment re trip hazards.

No - you may not do a single thing to the fixed wiring in the shop(s), nor to the flexes which are fitted to the heaters.

I own the shops so why can't I do a single thing to the fixed wiring (is there non fixed wiring ?) ?

I take the point that there are (often multiple) correct methods but (in my ignorance) I don't see how this is different from changing a socket. The item will be wired into the same electrical point whether directly via a plug, on an extension via a plug or via a replacement cable or spur.

Aside from following a correct procedure, I don't see a difference in load here at all.

I own the shops so why can't I do a single thing to the fixed wiring (is there non fixed wiring ?) ?
Because you are clearly, and without any doubt whatsoever, not competent enough to comply with the Electricity At Work Regulations.

First of all, the choice of convector heaters for a shop is waste of time, most of the heat will just rise up to the ceiling and escape, leave the shop feeling cold, not much reaching well into the shop, particularly the 800watt heater won't even provide much heat feel, unless you were intending to mount it near the cashiers to keep them warm, buy commercial grade fan heaters (heat curtains) and direct warm air flow downwards into the shop , these can be mounted (screwed) above the shop door directing a flow of warm air downwards into the shop, these will be far more effective,

You could get an electrician or if you are competent enough to wire directly into a spur (FCU) higher up out of reach of most people.

First of all, the choice of convector heaters for a shop is waste of time, most of the heat will just rise up to the ceiling and escape, leave the shop feeling cold, not much reaching well into the shop, particularly the 800watt heater won't even provide much heat feel, unless you were intending to mount it near the cashiers to keep them warm, buy commercial grade fan heaters (heat curtains) and direct warm air flow downwards into the shop , these can be mounted (screwed) above the shop door directing a flow of warm air downwards into the shop, these will be far more effective,

You could get an electrician or if you are competent enough to wire directly into a spur (FCU) higher up out of reach of most people.

I am also looking at air curtains but they are a few weeks away at best so this was something which could be implemented ASAP and provide some limited benefit.

They would be near the staff so heat in the immediacy is relevant rather than a shop wide heating solution (which will be part of a refit due 2017/18).

As long as you carry out a risk assessment re trip hazards.

And burn hazards, as most domestic heaters aren't low surface temperature (LST) and there may be children or elderly epople in the shop.

And a fire risk assessment for the use of portable heaters and extension leads.

And get the insurer to accept all the above.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back