Electric hob fitting: heat-resistance on cut worktop?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just about to install a bosch electric hob, and the instructions say "seal cut surfaces to make them heat-resistant". This is in relation to a square being cut out of the middle of the worktop.

What can I use to seal the exposed chipboard of the worktop? Is there some sort of paint type stuff that can be applied??

Or is this just something the instructions say in case someone's worktop somewhere gets damaged, and that any modern wortktop (like our laminate jobby from Wickes) doesn't need any sort of treatment?

Sponsored Links
I've only ever seen them sealed against water with silicon, but you could always use a tube of car exhaust sealer in the same way.

I am struggling to find a question about the electrical environment here.

I've seen cut edges sealed to make them moisture resistant, but not fireproof. Maybe someone else knows, or ask the moderators to move your topic to the general woodworking section.

//www.diynot.com/forums/viewforum.php?f=14

EDIT: Did you never use GOOGLE??

After 0.00000000000000000000000001 seconds of searching I found a whole lot if info (search on "worktop heat sealant hob").

One says useful stuff like

The sink or hob should drop in easily with a gap of 2 - 3mm all round. Always seal the core board to prevent moisture ingress before fitting a sink. When fitting a hob, heat resistant self-adhesive aluminium foil tape should be used round the cut-out.

I posted this first in woodworking, but got no replies - so I tried this forum. I choose this forum because if people have been fitting electrical appliances then they may be familiar with what is required to actually fit them. So no electrical element to this post in the sense of volts etc, but it is to do with the electrical environment.

Thanks for the google search terms tip off. Gosh, you're computer works very fast; the best I've managed is 0.23 seconds.

The snippet you've provided re: aluminium foil tape is very handy - cheers! :)

Sponsored Links
Mine's bigger than yours.

IBM_Blue_Gene_P_supercomputer.jpg

Haven't worked out the cable size yet - still trying to find a C25000 breaker for my CU....

I'm in the market for one of those computers. Do you think the council will let me build a 20,000sq ft extension to house it in?
If so what sort of fuse would you recommend in the extension cable?
Would a 13 amp one be ok? Or should I run in some SWA from a 32A breaker?

PS, Just wondering ,, Do you get a nice 54" LCD Display with that or would I have to buy one??? ;) ;) ;) ;) ;)

PSS, IS it any good for gaming?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back