Electric hob novice needs help!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I put the electric hob on to try and just heat my new flat up a bit and the fuse blew after 5-7 minutes.

The fuse is in a fused spur, but it is only 13amp, is this too low for an solid plate electric hob? Seems strange, any help most appreciated.

Thanks

Adam

Sponsored Links
Did you just put 1 plate on.
What is the rating of the hob? is it design to be plugged in on a 13amp socket?

You can draw 3kw through that fuse, and the hob should have its consumption written on it somewhere.
Perhaps one of the rings is faulty? Try one ring at a time.
John :)

The hob seems to be this one.
http://www.baumatic.co.uk/b65ss_21_104_15417.html

Says

Electrical details
Rated Voltage: 230 Vac 50 Hz
Supply Connection: 30 A (double pole switched fused outlet with 3mm contact gap)
Max Rated Inputs: 7.00 kW
Mains Supply Lead: 3 core x 6 mm² (not supplied)

I put all four on at the same time , but without any pans on.

If it is 30amp fuse, they wouldn't seems to fit in the hole aren't 30amp quite chunky?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
This should be HARD wired...NOT ON A PLUG.

This is the type of cooker that is generally (well used to) wired to a plug.
The circuits are in such away that you cannot exceed 13amp

It is hard wired, on a fused spur, switch on the wall with a little tray for the fuse.

Thanks, seems strange as this is not a new property so not sure how previous tenants managed?

7kw soft wired? :eek: Bloody hell
The previous people must only have used 2 rings, and the installer wants a smack. I bet the wrong gauge of cable was used too.

You should be ok using 2 plates.
But yes you should get it wired correctly

As said, the fuse in the spur will protect you, but this appliance needs to be hard wired as soon as you can.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back