Electric metering and timeclocks

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hiya folks

Wonder if you could provide some advice on a problem I'm having.

I live in rented accommodation where there is an old-style fuse box, electricity meter and Santamo Time Controls time clock in a cupboard. Over the last week the time clock has been making a perpetual ticking noise that is really loud and annoying. Our energy tariff is not economy 7 and I notice that the time clock time is not correctly set anyway. There is also a switch to control power to the timeclock. So my questions are:

1) Why would it suddenly have become so constantly loud? Is this something to worry about i.e. dangerous / do I need to call a professional
2) What would the impact be if I just switched off the power to the timeclock?
3) What impact would the wrong time setting be having on my electricity bills?

Thanks for your help and I'm sorry that I know so little about this subject!

Bruc

Sponsored Links
1. The timer could just be worn out.
2. You may not get your cheap tariff, but I would not expect the switch to control the timer time.
3. Wrong time would give you cheap elec at different time to the prescribed time & not switch the appliance on when expected.

What is on the timer?> storage heaters/water heater.

1. The timer could just be worn out.
2. You may not get your cheap tariff, but I would not expect the switch to control the timer time.
3. Wrong time would give you cheap elec at different time to the prescribed time & not switch the appliance on when expected.

What is on the timer?> storage heaters/water heater.

Thanks so much for your reply. I really don't have a clue what appliance is controlled by the timeclock. Is there anyway I can find out? As far as I'm aware, hot water is available at all times and these settings are controlled by the building, not by the individual apartments. The central heating timings are controlled through a separate dial. Everything else in the flat are ordinary household appliances that aren't set to come on/off at all.

Bruc

Sponsored Links
Try turning the switch off and see if anything stops working

Thanks for the suggestion. The switch turned a light off but nothing else as far as I can see, and had no effect on the noise coming from the timeclock. I had assumed this switch was connected to the timeclock because someone has left a label on it to that effect, but now I'm not so sure...

What light? A red one on it?

It could have turned off the output from the timer or the timer could be windup.

It turned off the lighting in the lounge. There are no lights on the actual time clock as far as I can see.

some sangamo clocks have battery back up so still tick even with no power, the dial on them is usually a red colour

if the black base is exposed there is a red or grey button on the side, by pressing, if it is operating the light, pressing the button will turn the light on and off

If it was to do with the meter im pretty sure it normally would be in a sealed enclosure

Thanks for your help guys. I played around with the switch and the timeclock dial but it's still ticking and I'm none the wiser about its purpose. I checked for a button but couldn't find one. Think the next step is to get someone to look at it. Could anyone tell me if this is something the energy supplier should look at, or if I should find an electrician?

Thanks
Bruc

Funny looking spring...
View media item 71942 View media item 71941
Bruc

The switch which is being described is the little white button (some are red) at 10 O'clock just behind the dial. Pressing it should change the status of the contacts shown in the little window at 8 O'clock from on to off, off to on etc.

The acid test will be to grab the clock by the dial and pull it out it's housing. Do this in the off position mind and be aware there will be exposed contacts behind it.

Thanks. I've pushed the button and had a fiddle with the dial etc as you recommended but nothing has changed. I've come to the conclusion that the timeclock was never switched on (i.e. it's only when I change the position of the power switch that my electrics start to be affected by the on/off settings on the timeclock) but nonetheless it keeps ticking. Possibly this is the battery/spring/quartz mechanism that some of you have mentioned that is trying to keep the timeclock going? Is there a simple way for me to remove the battery or do I need to get some help? The noise is driving me crazy!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back