Electric or thermostatic shower???

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm about to install a new shower in our bathroom. I have an electric shower (10.5kW) and a regular thermostatic mixer shower at my disposal. In terms of cost effectiveness, which is better to install? I'm thnking that if i install the thermostatic, i will be using hot water from the hot water cylinder, heated from the conventional boiler (gas), but the electric shower obviously uses electricty to heat the water - so pint for pint, which is the cheaper option!!?
I'm assuming that the pressure for the two will be roughly equal.

Sponsored Links
I'm sure you didn't need to post this 4 times; I'll reply only once though.

Gas is a whole lot cheaper than electricity. In round terms, electricity it 6.5p/KWh whereas gas is 1.8 p/KWh. So approx 1/4 of the cost.

However, your electric shower will be almost 100% efficient. But your gas heated HW won't be - there are losses in the boiler (flue), the pipework (heat escaping) and in the HW cylinder (heat escaping).

It's hard to predict the overall efficiency of the gas heated water; but it'll be a lot higher than 25%, so, gas is very likely to be the cheaper option.

Not to mention the fact that wall mounted electric showers are fugly.

Computer egit... i thought i had posted it but couldn't find it, so kept on posting. Then realised i was actually looking at a slightly different page... hence, half a dozen postings!

As for the info, cheers. Gas is it then - i'll install the electric shower in the 'guests' bathroom!!

Thanks again.

Sponsored Links
Can i run it off mains pressure for cold, and hot water tank for hot - that will give me ample pressure won't it?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back