Electric Oven Cable gauge - is 2.5mm "man" enough?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Im wiring up my kitchen ready for the new units and oven in a few weeks. I need info for the supply cable for the double oven. (electric oven, gas hob FYI)

The oven is a Diplomat (from MFI >Clicky< ) It has a rating of 20A / 3860w max.

So, the question is -

Consumer Unit RCD > to > Oven isolator switch - what gauge cable should be used? is 2.5mm enough or should i double it up?

Isolator > to > Oven - again, what cable...

I was told that 4mm would be ideal for the job but couldnt find any. i think 6mm would be a bit overkill!

Isolator switch - i have a 20A one from Wickes slimline range. Is this too close to the actual rating? Or should i just get a 45A one.

Any suggestions or guidance would be grand. Cheers all :D

Sponsored Links
Have you heard of part p you cheapskate!Not to mention electrical regs.

Yes, i have heard of part P. Not actually wiring it up, just putting the wires in the wall before the room gets plastered. The idea is to have it ready for the arrival of the kitchen fitters to minimise disruption.

So, if anyone has any useful input...

scratch339 said:
Yes, i have heard of part P. Not actually wiring it up, just putting the wires in the wall before the room gets plastered. The idea is to have it ready for the arrival of the kitchen fitters to minimise disruption.

So, if anyone has any useful input...

I hope those kitchen fitters are Part P registered then, and I hope they are aware you are doing some of the work before they sign/run off? Are you aware of the regs regarding safe zones?

Anyway, before we can tell you if 2.5mm² is ok you'll have to tell us how far the run is, whether it goes through any conduit/insulation/high ambient temps/bunching etc.

Sponsored Links
Have had a good trawl through the K-Zone site and looked at the TLC cable guide.

As the cable is 10 metres long, partly buried in the walls and runs through some joists with the kitchen ring, i have taken the safe option of 4mm.

Thanks for the help all :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back