Electric pipe freezer

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi

i have got 20 trvs to fit in an office (about 40 rads on sealed system). i have today hired a pipe freezer for the first time thinking i could isolate one area at a time to save the whole building being cold. it seems though that the ice plug cannot hold the pressure in the system. i have frozen a 22mm pipe leading to 3 rads (which i switched off and cooled first) but the water wouldnt stop coming! is that how it is and they can only be used on low pressure pipework

many thanks

Sponsored Links
I have used them on pressurised systems before, with no problems.
Maybe the freezer is not freezing properly.
You could try wrapping wet cloths around the pipe, by the freeze head to aid in the freezing process.
It might be a case that you have to do each rad one at a time :cry:

Where the lockshields all turned off fully? I've frozen an inch rising main with mine before so no problem with pressure.

I used to use the large gas bottle freezers and found they worked every time on mains which as swjackson says is high pressure, but I quite often found it did not work on heating pipes even if the system was stone cold.
I came to the conclusion that perhaps additives in the system might be acting as a sort of anti-freeze.
Regards,
footprints

Sponsored Links
You may find the problem is down to the Water Treatment in the circulating water - there are many diffrent Chemicals used to treat commercial systems, many will reduce the freeze temperature preventing a freezer from making a plug (we had this problem in a South London Church last year Aldous & Stamp ltd chemicals were preventing the system freezing ;)

Have a look around the system it is common for isolation valves to be fitted to the F&R's usually at the main riser through the building, find these and you won't need to freeze or drain!! ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back