Electric Radiator Repair "Elkatherm"

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I recently moved into a house that has three wall mounted electric radiators. They are made my a German company called Elkatherm.
They are very simply and just have a temperature knob and a red light to show when the radiator is on.
Two of the radiators no longer heat up even though the thermostat clicks on and the red light comes on.

I opened up one of the radiators that wasn't working and discovered what looks to me like a burnt out electric component but I'm not sure. (see blue arrow in photo)
IMG_5325 (1).jpgIMG_5326.jpg
Can anyone tell me what this electrical is and does it look faulty? I thought I could perhaps replace it myself.

Many thanks,

Julian

Sponsored Links
Whatever that is has melted for some reason and certainly faulty. If it is at the top then its probably a thermostat of some sort.
But not a make that I'm familiar with. Maybe others do....?

EDIT: May be worth calling them. They're in the UK..
Make a note of the model number first!!

Looks to me like shocking design to put such a component in such a place.

I wonder if they all have the same fault.

Ordinary UK storage heaters have a thermal cutout or fusible link to break the power in the case of overheating, which typically happens when a user disregards the instructions and puts towels or something on top.

Sponsored Links
Many thanks for the replies and links. All really helpful. The models I have looks pretty old. I'll contact Elkatherm as advised.
Thanks again.

Julian

Not sure if it applies to your radiators, but apparently they have a four year warranty & there has been a product recall on some https://webforms.sgs.com/v4/corp/safeguards/pdf/SGS-Product-Recalls-0610-March02-EN-10.pdf As etc says contact Elkatherm

Alarming.

"FIRE
The product poses a risk of fire
because the thermostat ceases to
operate and "gets stuck" at high
ambient temperatures and the
product is no longer protected
against overheating. The
investigations led to the
conclusion that, in the worst
possible case, the thermostat
could catch fire as a result of
overheating of the built-in
thermostat relay (radiator
accessory).
The product does not comply with
the Low Voltage Directive (LVD)
and the relevant European
standards EN 60335 and EN

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back