electric radiators

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi
does anyone have any first hand experience of the oil filled electric rads?
are they as economical to run as what is claimed i constantly see that you can run them fromas low as a few pence an hour? but you can obviously achieve this by turning them off
any info would be grately recieved

Sponsored Links
electricity costs about twice as much to run as gas.

keep the thermostats down low or they will eat money.

Don't let any women treat the 'stats as an on-off switch (turn it up very high when they feel cold, then very low when they feel hot)

gas is always cheaper for heating

a few pence means nothing
you need to know how much a quarter it cost to run
say it averages 500w for say 10 hrs thats around 4p an hour cheap enough untill you add it up 40p a day £2.80 a week £11.20 a month

thats £33.60 on your quarterly bill now thats not so cheap to run now is it :rolleyes:

and if the maximum output is less than 1000w [1kw] it wont be much use for heating more than an average sized room

thanks
i can't get gas to my house and i can't have LPG either ( conservation) so my only option is electric or oil.
but i don't have much land so if the electric compares to the oil i might go with electric.

Sponsored Links
Don't let any women treat the 'stats as an on-off switch (turn it up very high when they feel cold, then very low when they feel hot)

They really do this too :LOL: We have the air con on heat at work, and I went in one morning and the store was red hot. I went into the office and someone had changed the set temp on the shop floor to 28 degrees, the maximum. Whenever our supervisors feel a slight chill they go in the back and turn the stat right up. Grrr. Funny they dont even know the on/off switch exists to turn it off at night!!!! (its right next to the temp selector btw) I keep it set at 17 degrees, for energy saving. Also if you up it to 19, it superheats the shop to 30 degrees for some bizarre reason. FFS. :evil:

buy a cheap stat and blu-tak it to the back wall near the smokers exit where they'll see it.

Seems to me folk today just whack the heating on when it's cold.

My eldest ( 8 ) says (when feeling cold), "can you put the heating on, Dad?".

I tell him to put a jumper on...

That's warr I did when I were 'is age.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back