Electric Shower Cold ?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I turned my electric shower on via the on/off pull cord as usual and then pressed the power button on the shower unit. But when the unit/shower is turned on the light on the pull cord switch goes off and the water is ice cold (not good at this time of year)!. Does anyone know what is going on ? Please help if you can - Thank you.
(I have taken the casing off the shower and checked all the wires are nice and tight but it made no difference). Could my shower unit have an internal fuse which might have popped ?

Sponsored Links
stokieah said:
I turned my electric shower on via the on/off pull cord as usual and then pressed the power button on the shower unit. But when the unit/shower is turned on the light on the pull cord switch goes off and the water is ice cold (not good at this time of year)!. Does anyone know what is going on ? Please help if you can - Thank you.
(I have taken the casing off the shower and checked all the wires are nice and tight but it made no difference). Could my shower unit have an internal fuse which might have popped ?

It sounds that you have blown the fuse for the shower in the consumer unit ( or fuse box ). In which case you have a problem that requires an experienced electrician to fault find and repair.

Have you checked the fuses ?

If there isn't a blown fuse and the light on the shower pull switch still comes on when you pull the cord but goes out when you turn on the shower then you have a serious problem and definately need an electrician. That is a sign of a damaged cable or loose connection in a junction box between the pull switch and the consumer unit. This definately requires an electrician. It may be loose connection in the pull switch.
(I have taken the casing off the shower and checked all the wires are nice and tight but it made no difference).

It won't as the fault is between the pull switch and the meter.

Hi, Thank you for your advice, I think I might have to call an electrician in to sort it out... God knows how much that will cost.. Thanks again..

There is quite a good chance that there is a bad connection in the ceiling switch. Most often it is the black neutral wire that has been a bit loose and burnt away. The repair is to cut off the overheated part and remake the joint with undamaged copper, and use a new switch as well.

If you are confident you can do it, turn off the power to this circuit and have a look inside the switch. Buy a new switch before you start. Unless there is sufficient slack to cut off the damaged wire and remake the joint, though, you will need an electrician because it needs a special tool to extend the wire with a permanent joint. The heat-damaged wire and switch will burn away again quite quickly if you reconnect them.

Sponsored Links
Sounds like it's the ceiling switch, I will get a qualified person to take a look at it.. Thank you.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back