Electric shower--has the plumber pulled one over on me?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Ive just had a new shower installed... I had asked for a Mira Sport 10.8 as i was told they are REALLY good showers...

(FYI I live on a private estate so i rely on contractors that the estate supplies...)

Anyhoo.. I told the estate dont care about cost just want a powerful electric shower..

This morning (after waiting 3 weeks for supposed delivery) they show up with a Mira Advance shower. Now the box said 9.0 but they are telling me its 10.5.. For the LIFE of me i cant find a 10.5 anywhere online for that range.

They took away the books with the shower.. told me if i have issues to just call them instead.. I wanted the book to prove itwasnt a 10.5

Personally this shower looks like something out of the Jetsons its strange... but can anyone help me with my query?

Sponsored Links
There is usually a sticker on Mira showers giving model, power etc. You may find it on the top of the shower unti itself... unless it has been removed. Some Mira boxes do have different ratings perinted on them, its the sticker on the end of the box that would identify the exact power output.
The size of your existing cable might limit the power output of the new shower too.

Son of a..... Just looked for the sticker it was UNDER the shower near the hose... 9.0

But im glad my invoice says 10.5!! so many four letter words... lol

now i must calm down and construct a very "nice" complaint!

Sponsored Links
I am intreagued by your comment that you have to use contractors "supplied by the estate".

can you explain how that comes about and why you cannot choose who you employ?

Its does seem to me that they have supplied and fitted something different. I would expect its cheaper.

You could call the manufacturer's helpline to get any information on the differences and the list prices of each model.

Tony

yeah all repairs, maintenance etc has to go throught he estate.. and you have to use their contractors.

Plus where i live i find it hard to get a hold of a plumber!

because the shower was broken they paid for labour etc.. but because iw anted a 10.8 shower i paid the difference between what they would have put in (mira sport 8.5) and what i thought i was getting 10.8

If i was to find my own electrican and plumber i would then be responsible for 100% of the bill!

It sounds as if you have less of an argument in that case.

But I do think that they have been fraudulent to you and if it was me then I would not be very happy.

Tony

yeah ive sent a nasty email off to the estate the thing is im paying for it... So i kinda want what i paid for.

I had no problem installing it mysefl(with my own people) but the estate wanted to order and do it.. .therefore i should have gotten what i asked for :(

Just sad that they lied to me.

And ive read soooo many bad things about t his shower

One thing to bear in mind here is that the existing cable size needs to be determined. It may need to be upgraded to support a 10.8kw.

Yeah i said that to the electrician... and the estate they said because its a "short run" it doesnt need to be upgraded at all...

Which goes against everything MIRA says on their website.

I am printing out all the stuff this morning.. as they claim that the shower they put in is a 10.5... even though MIRA clearly doesnt make a 10.5 in the Advance range and the stickers and books all over the shower say 9.0

Thanks for ur help everyone:)

Not being an expert in electric showers, I would assume that manufacturers instructions would over ride any standard regulations, the same as they do for gas appliances.

absolutely..

it repeatedly says that manufacturers instructions should take presidence..
and then gives you minimums and such to use in the absence of manufacturers insctructions..

You are correct KingFisher :)

It is a set back!

But supposivly they are coming with my 10.8 tomorrow all though the cabling is NOT being changed they said cause its a short run no need to...

Out of curiosity will it just short the fuse or blow the fuse if the cable isnt strong enough?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back