Electric Shower Low Flow on Hot Setting Only

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a Triton Plasma electric shower which seems to have progressively lower flow on the hot setting over the years. We are now in a situation where the flow rate from the hot is noticeably lower than that of the cold setting, whereas 4 years ago you could barely tell the difference between the settings.

Are there any obvious things to look for as to why this could be happening?

Any help is greatly appreciated!

Sponsored Links
The Plasma shower is fitted with two electric heating elements both of which give out a fixed amount of heat. [using the ECO setting operates only one element, the HIGH setting operates both] The temperature of the water is then dependent on the quantity of water flowing over the elements, so to increase the water temperature, the water flow is slowed, to reduce the temperature, the water flow is increased.

The main problem with this type of shower, is that at this time of year, the incoming mains water is starting to get cooler, so it requires more heating, which means the flow has to be lowered to achieve this.

Electric heating elements either work, or they don't, so if both elements are working then it is probably just that you are noticing that the incoming water is cooler. If you live in a hard water area, I suppose it maybe possible that the elements are furred up which may prevent then transferring heat as effectively as when they were new.

Hi Stem,

Thank you for the reply. We do live in a hard water area, Portsmouth, so presumably over time if the heat exchanger gets furred up the water would have to be slowed to achieve the desired temperature.

Is this a serviceable part do you know?

You have given me another thought, I wonder whether I can detect a difference between eco and high? If not the could point to one of them being in the blink.

Thanks

Coupe20vt

I wonder whether I can detect a difference between eco and high? If not the could point to one of them being in the blink.
That is very likely. There should be a significant increase when switched onto the high setting from ECO. If you can't detect a difference, then it is likely one of the elements has failed.

Is this a serviceable part do you know?
The elements are an integral part of the whole heating unit [Heater Can or Kettle] You can still buy them from Triton but they are fiddly to fit and the cost isn't much less than a new shower. See item 3 in the attached diagram.

Attachments

• Parts List.pdf
    137.2 KB · Views: 130
Sponsored Links
To close the loop on this one, there was no noticeable difference between eco and hot settings therefore I take it from Stem's information above that one of the two heaters inside the heating unit has failed.

The replacement part is around £80 delivered similar to replacing the whole unit.

Thank you Stem.

Coupe20vt

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back