Electric Shower: Low pressure and low temps

• Thread starter Deleted member 242536
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 242536

Hi

My Grandparents had an electric shower around 10 years back through a disability grant. The shower that was installed was a Mira Advance ATL Thermostatic. The water pressure on it is pretty pathetic at best and the temperature is not much better. The highest setting which one would expect to be unbearable is actually the right temperature for me which I don't think is right.

I have used electric showers in the past and the water pressure was never as good as one powered via the boiler but they were acceptable. The one installed for my grandparents is not even close to the same pressure that other electric showers I've used have been able to put out.

I've asked a plumber to come and have a look at it and the response I get is that electric showers are just like that.

What I would like to know is are modern electric showers better performers in terms of water pressure etc in which case the fix is an easy upgrade to a new one. If this isn't the case are there any modifications I can make to improve the performance.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
I've asked a plumber to come and have a look at it and the response I get is that electric showers are just like that.
They are correct.

Electric showers are limited by the fact they have to heat the water on demand, and the maximum power you can get is only about 11kW.
A combi boiler is typically 30kW or more, so will be a far better option.

The highest setting which one would expect to be unbearable
The ATL shower is designed for use in situations where accurate temperature control is essential, and therefore won't deliver excessively hot water.
On some types the maximum temperature can also be limited, which is exactly what you would expect to be done for disabled/infirm type installations.

The flow may be improved by cleaning the inlet filter, but other than that - electric showers are feeble at best and generally should be avoided unless it really is the only option.

Take the shower head off and see if that makes a difference, it could be blocked.

Andy

Never really been a fan of electric showers generally, it was because it was free that my grandparents accepted it. They actually wanted it linked to the boiler originally. We have one connected to the main boiler which is used most but it would be nice to have a second shower that offers a decent alternative. I'm getting the impression my options are: to assess the power output of the shower and then get one that has a higher power rating and give the insides a clean or rip the whole thing out and put in a new one connected to the boiler. Would a shower pump be a viable option to help improve the flow rate and if so how complex would the installation be?

I wonder if the temperature has been limited internally, because that would explain it. In fairness the temperature thing doesn't really bother me as I can get it to the right temperature, was just puzzled as to why it was so low in comparison to the other electric showers I have experienced.

Sponsored Links
You haven't mentioned the rating of the shower (or it's make) but it's possible that you could get a more powerful one now - assuming the cabling is up to spec of course.

Somewhere in the pipe work, there may be a cut off valve that's not full bore, and that could be reducing the flow, but the issue is that a greater cold water flow will result in a colder shower, unless you up it's rating.

But no, you can't add a pump to the combi boiler.

Whats the general water pressure and flow like?.

Can you measure flow at the cold tap?.

My electric shower was poor but it was down to poor water supply (a problem with our street/ area).

Fitted a Salamander Homeboost pump and it's night and day different.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back