electric shower not working could be fuse??

That has spoilt my view of Star Trek and Scotty saying "I don`t have the power Captain" :D

Sponsored Links
very few Joe Publics would understand the psychiatrist correctly if (s)he used 'hysteria' in the technically-correct sense.
Are you sure?

I think most people would, but without realising it, i.e. they wouldn't recognise that when the media refer to "hysteria" they are accurately describing the behaviour of people who are mentally disordered.

very few Joe Publics would understand the psychiatrist correctly if (s)he used 'hysteria' in the technically-correct sense.
Are you sure? I think most people would, but without realising it, i.e. they wouldn't recognise that when the media refer to "hysteria" they are accurately describing the behaviour of people who are mentally disordered.
I'm not sure that I completely understand what you're saying there. I really do doubt that many members of the general public know what the technical term 'hysteria' actually means. Since you appear to be saying that you think most people do understand, do you want to have a stab (if you promise not to look it up :)) ??

Kind Regards, John.

Disorder of the womb, isn't it?

No - but seriously - my understanding of it is a mental disorder, characterised by excessively emotional behaviour.

What I meant above was that when you look at behaviour, usually mass, commonly referred to as "hysteria" you'll find that the people exhibiting it are mentally disordered.

Sponsored Links
Disorder of the womb, isn't it?
:)

No - but seriously - my understanding of it is a mental disorder, characterised by excessively emotional behaviour.
That is probably the most common 'lay'/everyday meaning/use - the clasical screaming woman who, in all the best films, is cured by having her face slapped or a glass of water thrown at it!

What I meant above was that when you look at behaviour, usually mass, commonly referred to as "hysteria" you'll find that the people exhibiting it are mentally disordered.
'Mass hysteria' is another 'lay' meaning, although it has been somewhat adopted by psycholgists/psychiatrists and sociologists - to refer to a behaviour of crowds of people (e.g. 'Beatlemania', Manson's followers etc.).

I'm not sure that either of those meanings above is related to a true mental disorder. However, 'real' hysteria (per the technical definition) is, indeed, a serious mental disorder. Let me give you some clues/examples .... there are many variants of true hysteria, including 'hysterical blindness' and 'hysterical paralysis', which can be difficult or impossible to treat.

Kind Regards, John.

That is probably the most common 'lay'/everyday meaning/use - the clasical screaming woman who, in all the best films, is cured by having her face slapped or a glass of water thrown at it!
Actually that isn't what I meant.

I meant people who exhibit excessively emotional behaviour because their mental processes have become disordered.

For example turning up outside the home of someone they never knew who has died and crying or leaving tributes.

I mean - WTF? Crying because a total stranger has died? That's pretty disordered.

I'm not sure that either of those meanings above is related to a true mental disorder.
As far as I'm concerned, those are all examples of people who are mentally disordered.

Their condition may well not be permanent, but while it exists it's real enough.

However, 'real' hysteria (per the technical definition) is, indeed, a serious mental disorder. Let me give you some clues/examples .... there are many variants of true hysteria, including 'hysterical blindness' and 'hysterical paralysis', which can be difficult or impossible to treat.
Those symptoms can indeed be aspects of hysteria, but that doesn't mean that someone without them is not suffering from hysteria.

As far as I'm concerned, those are all examples of people who are mentally disordered. Their condition may well not be permanent, but while it exists it's real enough.
They are certainly examples of, usually temporary, fairly extreme behaviour, but would probably not usually qualify as 'mental health disorders' in the official sense. In contrast, as I said, true hysteria certainly does.

Kind Regards, John.

They are certainly examples of, usually temporary, fairly extreme behaviour, but would probably not usually qualify as 'mental health disorders' in the official sense. In contrast, as I said, true hysteria certainly does.
So can mental health disorders only be permanent then?

So can mental health disorders only be permanent then?
No, they can obviously be temporary as well. I was referring to the nature of the extreme behaviour, not its duration. A crowd of women screaming and 'swooning' at the sight of the Beatles or Rudolph Valentino would probably not qualify as a 'mental health disorder', any more than would an obsessive promotion of bizarre ideas about earthing and bonding :). Quite probably 'mad/crazy' in the colloquial sense, but not in terms of definitions of disease!

Kind Regards, John.

I was referring to the nature of the extreme behaviour, not its duration. A crowd of women screaming and 'swooning' at the sight of the Beatles or Rudolph Valentino would probably not qualify as a 'mental health disorder',
Why?

Is it rational behaviour? I submit not.

If emotional is it excessively so? I submit yes.

any more than would an obsessive promotion of bizarre ideas about earthing and bonding :).
That's not emotional.

A crowd of women screaming and 'swooning' at the sight of the Beatles or Rudolph Valentino would probably not qualify as a 'mental health disorder',
Why? Is it rational behaviour? I submit not. If emotional is it excessively so? I submit yes.
I'm just the messenger - or, rather, someone offering an interpretation. Fortunately, I'm not the person who has to decide where to draw the line in the very grey area bewteen 'extremes of normal behaviour' and 'disease' - but am offering an opinion as to which side of the line those things are on. Simply being 'irrational' certainly does not indicate a mental health disorder - otherwise some contributors to this forum could be candidates!

In a practical sense, nothing would be gained by saying that a crowd of 'swooning' women were suffering from a mental health disorder/disease; no-one would dream of trying to 'treat' them.

Kind Regards, John.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back