Electric shower too much current?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi People,

First time here so as they say, be gentle.

After strenuous efforts in the garden of a relative I needed shower before going home. The shower flow was controlled with three buttons marked "Low" "Medium" "High".The thing that concerned me was that as I worked my way up the the buttons, so the lights in the house progressively dimmed. Now while I know that to fully check out the shower, everything from the cable diameter to the wiring to the consumer unit would need to be verified, can anybody tell me if the dimming lights should be expected and not indicative of a glaring overload issue?

All help gratefully recieved.

Sponsored Links
It sounds like volt drop caused by the resistance of the cable before the fuse box, probably nothing to worry about. I take it the shower and lighting circuit were installed by a pro?

Is it a rural house with an overhead supply, and no pole-mounted transformer in the garden?

Or with a long cable to the nearest main in the road?

It won't be the shower cable, it'll be at the consumer unit or to the supply side before it.

(assuming, of course, they haven't put the light on the shower supply cable).

(edited, slow typing again :cry:

Sponsored Links
Thanks Guys

Spark123: yes the shower was installed by pros.
JohnD: It's not a rural house, however, the fact that neither of you are surprised about the lights suggests that there is nothing to worry about as Spark123 has stated.
As a precaution I will check to ensure that nothig else is being supplied from the same circuit (as mistakes do happen).
Many thanks

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back