Electric SHower

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I currently have a Gainsborough Style 400x Electric Shower. As some of you may know it's broke. I'm thinking of changing my current shower which is 8.2KW to a 9.5KW one. Will I need to change the wire configuration, does the 9.5KW require thicker wire? Also I don't particularly want to drill new holes in my tiles, are all shower fixings the same?

Thanks in advance

Sponsored Links
Bad news. Shower makers do not agree on mounting holes, or even the realtive position of where the pipes and cable come in.
Also, you need to determine the rating of the cable and the device protecting it (fuse or circuit breaker)
You may, or may not, be able to just up-rate the shower without causing overheating. You need to take into account the existing installation, and if the wire runs through insulation or is well cooled.
Look up how to select cable sizes in the 'for reference' section if you don't know how to do this already, and be prepared to spend a little time - its not a total walk over (or if in doubt fit the next size up cable anyway...)

Would I need to get another Gainsborough shower to ensure that the inlet pipe is in the same position.

Cheers again in advance.

Sponsored Links
Depends if it's absolutely identical to the old one or not. I once replaced a Triton with another Triton that looked very similar - I assumed it would be the same inside, just cosmetic changes, as I too hoped that it would match up with the old connections.

No such luck.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back