Electric Showers - the inside! replaceable parts? etc

Sponsored Links
230 volts on 6 ohms gives a current of 38 amps and consumes 8.8 kW.

If the element resistance is any higher then how can the shower deliver enough heat?

Tony

OK then, about 10 ohms each individual element !

If they were really 18 ohms each then thats only 3 kW per element and most current electric showers are now 9kW - 10.5 kW.

Tony

Sponsored Links
OK then its 18 ohms each!

Showers are such a problem that I stay well clear of them.

Last one I saw had been arcing on the input connector block and had got so hot that the outer case had turned brown and distorted for around 60 mm on one side.

I often wonder if there are not several fatalities from electric showers when water and electricity are so closely mixed with someone who is all wet!

Once I got a shock in the shower and discovered the shower head was connected to the mains earth connection but the drain was obviously connected to the earth. There was about 35 volts between the mains earth and the actual ground because of the phase unbalance. But that was in the Seychelles. I always take my test meter on holiday!

Tony

do admit they are a deadly combination, nothing better than standing in a customers wet bath and trying to test it while its running.

thanks for the info guys-it's been very helpful.

is the spring inside the unit that is attactched to the temp control dial the solenoid valve or part of it then ?..

the shower you have hasnt got a solenoid valve.

it has an internal tap to turn off the water and the spring you speak of is the return spring for the pressure switch.

as for the elements they should measure 11.5 ohms and 12.8 ohms all being well

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back