Electric Socket for Dishwasher Plug Heat Damaged

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I live in a new build house and had a plumbing issue with the dishwasher (Bodged job) that I've now sorted. However when I removed the integrated dishwasher I noticed that the coating on the back had come off in one small area. On inspection it was where the plug is connected to the single socket. The dish washer plug also shows signs of heat damage (minor melting) from the dish washer. The problem I have is that there is no way that I can see to move the socket to allow a gap. Can anyone suggest the best way to sort this?

Sponsored Links
An easy way is to replace the plug and socket for a 13amp fused connection unit.

There are better, more complicated ways.

Thanks for the reply sparkwright

What would be the best better more complicated way to fix it?

All depends.

Is there a seperate isolator perhaps over the work top which controls this socket?

Are there low level kitchen cupboards next to the appliance?

Sponsored Links
There is an isolation switch however it is in the corner of the kitchen units which is an L shape. It is around 2.5m away from the socket.

To the left of the dishwasher is an integrated fridge freezer and to the right is the kitchen cupboard under the sink.

You could extend the socket wiring from behind the appliance to under the sink in the cupboard.

Fit a blanking plate where the old socket was.

Then drill a neat 70mm circular hole in the back of the cupboard, and bring the appliance lead through, and plug in.

This will allow you to easily pull the appliance out next time there is a problem, without disconnecting wires.

Thanks sparkmark I'll have a better look tomorrow and work out what's best.

To be safe, it's probably best to replace the plug on the DW and fit a new socket too.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back