Electric socket under water pipes

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
When our new washing machine was delivered at the weekend, the delivery people refused to install it because the electric socket to plug the machine in was under two water pipes, which ran left to right above it.

If we move the socket from the back wall to the side wall, the washing machine won't fit in the gap. If we move the socket above the unit, the electrician will need to cut our work surface, take off our tiles and go through our unit.

There has been a washing machine in that gap for years - can we go ahead and install it there, even though the pipes run above the socket??

Sponsored Links
I'd say that the delivery people are being paranoid, but is it merely pipes that are above the socket, or coupling/fittings/valves too?

Suggestions:

1. Ensure that the washing machine circuit is protected by an RCD at the consumer unit.

2. Tack a piece of DPM behind the pipes, trailing down over and in front of the socket, such that the water from a leak would be directed away from the electrics and straight onto the floor.

I must admit that I do not have a trained eye, but from what I can see, they just look like plain pipes! There are certainly no taps or valves or anything. The delivery people pointed to a bit of oxidation on the copper pipe which was about 10cm to the right of the socket, and said that was evidence of previous leaks, and were saying that it would make our buildings insurance invalid, etc, etc.

And then went on to say that it might be easiest if they just delivered it and we got someone else to install it... It was a Sunday after all!

fjb123 said:
The delivery people pointed to a bit of oxidation on the copper pipe which was about 10cm to the right of the socket, and said that was evidence of previous leaks, and were saying that it would make our buildings insurance invalid, etc, etc.
What knowledgable delivery people they were! Not only do they know about plumbing, and electrics, but also buildings insurance. Verily they must be the best-trained delivery people in the whole Kingdom. :eek:

Sponsored Links
Heh heh. Quite so! I was truly blessed.

Thank you for taking the time to give me your thoughts on this though.

Softus said:
fjb123 said:
The delivery people pointed to a bit of oxidation on the copper pipe which was about 10cm to the right of the socket, and said that was evidence of previous leaks, and were saying that it would make our buildings insurance invalid, etc, etc.
What knowledgable delivery people they were! Not only do they know about plumbing, and electrics, but also buildings insurance. Verily they must be the best-trained delivery people in the whole Kingdom. :eek:
Sounds like they are especially knowledgable about excuses that enable them to avoid the install and knock off early.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back