Connect the drain of washing machine to boiler overflow pipe

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I've moved the washing machine from under the sink in kitchen (dishwasher there now) to the other corner of the kitchen under the boiler (roughly 2 metres away from boiler).

I've done both hot and cold connections and worked a power socket behind the washing machine as well.

There is a white plastic overflow pipe (22mm?) coming from boiler that runs through the back of where the washing machine is now by the wall and all the way around the back of kitchen units and it goes into the drain pipe under the sink. (about 5 metres away). Its descending down all the way from the boiler into the drain pipe.

Would it be OK to connect the drain of washing machine to the overflow pipe (by cutting the pipe and putting a T in, then attaching the drain pipe from washing machine through a jubilee clip on another small piece of overflow pipe?

Just thinking if everything should be fine with the boiler and the washing machine pump if I do this (as planned:cool:

Thanks in advance for your advice..

Sponsored Links
Is it a condensing boiler, if so then it sounds like the condensate drain which, apparently, can be acidic, so if you do use it then I would suggest that you use a y connector not a T so that the condensate cannot get into your washer waste. Having said that I am unsure if this is precluded under building regs.

Hi jj4091

Thanks for your reply. Yes its a condensing combi-boiler (Ravenheat HE85T).

So should it be OK if I use a Y connector instead of T then?

For Y, I should put the washing maching drain and combi condensate drain at top of Y and both of drain into bottom... This is quite useful as I was going to put the T on the horizontal part of white plastic overflow pipe, but now since you mention of this acidic residue, I will put a Y instead and that too on the vertical leg of its travel..

Anything else to keep in mind friends?

As I said I am unsure if this is precluded by any other regs, it may be an idea to ask the question in "plumbing & heating" forum.

Sponsored Links
i'm not sure your washing machine will like pumping waste water that distance through that size of pipe, also a fair chance pipe will get blocked from residue from machine, this will cause pipe to fill up and boiler to switch off, i suggest another look at the layout

Would it be OK to connect the drain of washing machine to the overflow pipe (by cutting the pipe and putting a T in, then attaching the drain pipe from washing machine through a jubilee clip on another small piece of overflow pipe?
No. 21.5mm overflow pipe is not large enough for a washing machine drain.

If you look in the W. Mc. instructions, it should specify a standpipe with 1 40mm waste pipe leading to an outside drain.

Just thinking if everything should be fine with the boiler and the washing machine pump if I do this (as planned:cool:
No. It won't.

HI

thanks for your replies. I can easily manage to replace the 21.5mm overflow pipe from the boiler and condence with 32mm and run both together in that to the main drain under the sink..

40 mm however, is a bit tight as even after drilling bigger holes behind the cabinet units, there is not much space behind a few units and the cooker.
40 mm is coming a bit too tight there, should I carry on with 32 or if 40 is a must, then please let me know again!!

Cheers..

If you can't accommodate a separate standpipe and 40mm waste, then your next best option is to change the sink trap for one with a washing machine spigot and connect the drain hose to that using a Jubilee clip.

Hi Softus

change the sink trap for one with a washing machine spigot and connect the drain hose to that using a Jubilee clip.

The sink trap already has a washing machine spigot but I have connected the dish washer there. I can get a sink trap that has 2 washing machine spigots but the issue is that the washing machine is about 5.5 metres away from the sink trap (and the route has two 90 degree bends). How do I reach the sink trap? Are there any 5 metre extensions available for washing machine drain hoses?

5.5m?! :eek:

I get the impression that you didn't think this through before moving the machine.

Whatever you do now, if done internally, isn't going to work very well.

If the machine is against an outside wall then I'd drill the wall and run a 40mm waste to wherever the kitchen sink drains into.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back