Washing machine suds

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My washing machine pipe is connected to the sink pipe. There is a blockage in the drain outside that I cant resolve at the moment. My trouble is that suds are now coming from the washing machine up the sink. My question is that although the machine seems to spin ok and it emptys the drum, is there any way that the dirty soapy suds making their way back into the machine? I know this may sound odd but I do want the washing to be clean.
Thanks for any help.

Sponsored Links
Where do you think the dirty water is going?? You should have the blockage cleared before using the sink or machine again.
JonB

Where do you think the dirty water is going?? You should have the blockage cleared before using the sink or machine again.
JonB
I would assume that the dirty water/suds is completely draining away. My concern, which may seem daft, is that because there is a blockage that some way the water could re enter the drum where it came from.
I cant resolve the blockage problem because my neighbours garden is the problem. She has a patio that you cant even see because it's overgrown with foliage. I'm sure the problem is that the foliage and leaves etc are blocking her drain and thereby blocking my drain. She hasn't done anything to her garden for over five years. She even has a tree growing through the patio! I've tried in vein to get her to sort it out but most of the time she isn't even in the house.
So once again, does anyone think that water can re enter the drum?

Sponsored Links

You cant see the neighbours drain as it's against the wall on the patio. I'll post photo of pipework tomorrow

just lift drain hose up higher and put a non reurn valve on your sink trap , job done

I'm gonna put this topic on hold as I got a mate coming around who's a plumber. He says he'll put rods down to try and clear the blockage. Hey I might even be able to celebrate new years eve if all goes well.

if that grey pipe is from the washer, it is positioned wrong. Loop it upwards so that the top of the loop is at draining board level. otherwise sink water incl tea leaves, bacon fat, rice pudding etc will flow down into the washing machine.

tighten up whichever of those plastic nuts is loose and causing the leaking onto your sponge.

btw that white plastic spigot pointing upwards is intended for a washing machine hose and would have saved cutting that adaptor onto the pipe

JohnD said:
"btw that white plastic spigot pointing upwards is intended for a washing machine hose and would have saved cutting that adaptor onto the pipe
The adaptor was fitted to the pipe because it was originally attached to that spigot. When the kitchen fitter fitted like that the suds were a lot worse because the spigot is so close to the top of the sink. As I understand it, the adaptor is also meant to stop the suds traveling upwards though. Isn't there meant to be some sort of flap on the adaptor that will let the machine water out but not let sink water in?
But that has nothing to do with the neighbours drain being blocked which I think is the real problem.
I've never had any problems with any food getting into the washing machine.
I'll see if I can loop the pipe upwards though.
There is no leaks on the washers. The sponge is just to mop up spillages on the draining board like will probably happen with the ale tonight :LOL:

Looped the pipe upwards. When I unscrewed the washer to the adaptor there seemed to be some sort of contraption in the pipe attachment. Do you think the contraption is what stops sink water etc entering the pipe? Unfortunately I can't take a photo as the camera battery is dead..sods law.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back