Electric to my dettached garage

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Can anyone pls give me advise on exactly what is required to run electric to my dettached garage. Im aware that Armoured cable will run from my CU which is protected by a RCD into the Garage. Is the cable then ran into another small CU before running to a socket ? If so can I then run cable from the socket to a Junction Box to set up a lighting circuit ?

Rgds

Ste

Sponsored Links
Yes normally a small CU. Cost is about £30 including two breakers one for sockets & one for lights. Allows power and/or circuits to be turned off without recourse to re-enter house and run the risk of meeting her indoors whilst walking through no go areas in outdoor gear.

FootSore

ok, my take on detached buildings (1.5mts(?)+ away from supply source) is that you would need a seperate earthing system i.e earth stake, removing the earth from the supply side......is that correct?

ELZ4742 said:
ok, my take on detached buildings (1.5mts(?)+ away from supply source) is that you would need a seperate earthing system i.e earth stake, removing the earth from the supply side......is that correct?
It depends on a number of factors wether or not to export an earth, if there are any extraneous conductive parts, what is the supply type, the armoured cable size, wether or not it is viable to run a cable from the MET to the exposed conductive parts etc. Further info here: http://www.iee.org/Publish/WireRegs...matters_electrical_installations_outdoors.pdf
Please note that for England/Wales, this work will be notifiable to LABC under part P of the building regs.

Sponsored Links
Hi thanks for your replies,

Ive got the new CU for the garage and am just about ready to install but I have a question and am looking for some advice on the 3 core and E armourmed cable.

Do I require any special cutters for this cable and is it inserted into the CU unit in the same way that standard 2.5/4/6mm cable would be ? The cable is purposefully very tough hence this question regards preparing the cable ?

Many thanks

Ste

You need to make the cable off using proper armoured cable glands ensuring that the armour is connected to earth using the banjo supplied in the gland kit. This earth needs to be secure, sandwiching the banjo against a plastic enclosure isn't a good idea. What size armoured cable have you got? 3core armoured? What size supply are you running in? The cores which are used in SWA are generally the 3phase colours, hence when used for single phase they will need to be sleeved so they can be identified easily. Are there any extraneous conductive parts in the garage? What type of supply do you have?

I terminated SWA using a die cast box screwed to the wall.

SWA stripped and glanded to one end of the box and the tails, together with the earth from the banjo, taken out through a grommeted hole at the other end and up into the consumer unit.

No joints in the box, the SWA was stripped back so the tails were long enough to reach the consumer unit terminals

An extra earth was made to a bolt in the side of the box.

Same arrangement both ends.

SWA_box02.jpg

Hi

Here is the new garage CU I bought. It isnt RCD protected as the main CU in the house is already RCD protected. I bought a 32 amp and a 6 amp MCB for the garage consumer unit, 1 for the radial circuit I will run and 1 for the lighting.
The make of both CU's are Wylex

http://i128.photobucket.com/albums/p161/thomo27_2006/101_0444.jpg

Here is the main CU in the home. I have bought a 32 amp MCB for the spare slot on the left(removing those yellow covers was a struggle :confused:

The cable is 5mm with the armourmed protection then 3mm without. The cable is blue, grey,brown and black.

Is it brown to the new 32 amp MCB then blue to number 4 on the N plate ? Not sure abound grey & black ? ?

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

I forgot to mention that the garage is made up of wood and brick

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back