Electric to Outside Pre-Fab Garage,

A compentnet person would check the cable at the shed end as part of the testing and see that the cable is of a reduced size at the shed, and even more so if the cable changes from T&E to SWA.

but thats kinda my point. there are too many people who are not.
you cant tell me youve never gone in to a house where they have done what i have suggested?

i think for safety sake it is what i would do, reg or not.

Sponsored Links
ELZ4742 said:
A compentnet person would check the cable at the shed end as part of the testing and see that the cable is of a reduced size at the shed, and even more so if the cable changes from T&E to SWA.

but thats kinda my point. there are too many people who are not.
you cant tell me youve never gone in to a house where they have done what i have suggested?

i think for safety sake it is what i would do, reg or not.

If they are not competent then they shouldn't be messing with electrics.

We do not design circuits so that someone who is incompetent can not balls it up. If this was the case then every switch and socket would need a padlock on it to stop incompetent people making an installation unsafe.

your right it would never happen seeing as we live in a perfect world...............

and besides this is a pointless post as he shouldnt be doing it anyway.

only my opinion.

ELZ4742 said:
your right it would never happen seeing as we live in a perfect world...............
and besides this is a pointless post as he shouldnt be doing it anyway.

only my opinion.

Far more people are killed or injured by "less than perfect" use of the motor vehicle than are killed by electrics in the house.

And why shouldn't he be doing it if he is competent and has the right information and ( to copmply with regulations ) has it inspected and tested.

It is after all his property........................

Sponsored Links
I have installed all my own electrics in my house, showers, alarms, Jaccuzzi, Shed already has electric, But i want to do the best job with the best advice,
By the way i have bought 16mm SWA to connect to my 16MM Twin and earth. Cost about £100, but it will be worth it. Which means i should be able to pull 11.5kw at 50amps, according to TLC calculator, Which will be enough for welder, lights, heating, power tools, etc etc, And who nows one day i might by an outdoor jaccuzzi, The power will be availble from the garage.

I have a 16.0mm² feed to my garage. If you are using the garage as a workshop then I don't think this is overkill, and as you say you may add more load in future it is best to oversize the cable now, rather than having to rewire it a couple of years time.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back