Electric towel rail in zone 2

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am installing an electric towel rail in my new en-suite which is IP54 rated. The thermostatic element included is one of these

http://www.geyser.co.uk/element-thermostatic-600watt-matt-grey-finish-p-394.html

I can't seem to get a response from the supplier to confirm that the whole rail with one of those stats connected is IP54 and so can go wholly in zone 2. Obviously the supply connections will be outside the room, but being aware that normally "switchgear" should be sited outside of zone 2, I wondered how the little rubber "press" switches were rated.

Many thanks.

Sponsored Links
You should look at the customer service part of the web site - re electric radiators. There is a lot of information. You could, quite easily, have found this for yourself.

It starts with

Your radiator should be installed by a competent electrician
(he will be able to look after the safety and legal issues for you).

If you read on there is a bit titled

3. Are there limitations to where I can fit my electric towel rail?

The answer to this question is:

Yes and the guidelines are covered in detail by the IEE wiring regulations 2005. Firstly, an electrical appliance fitted in a bathroom must have an appropriate IP rating (Ingress Protection) which is a measure of the protection against water infiltration. All Geyser electric towel rails are IP54 rated or higher which means that they can be fitted in Zones 2, 3 and 4. No electric towel rails are known to be manufactured by anyone for Zone 0 or Zone 1. The basis of the zonal areas is to prevent the electric towel rail falling or being pulled into a body of water or being subject in any way to water saturation. Here is a summary and illustration to help you understand the fundamental regulations…..etc et c

Now, the maker hasn't updated his information to include the new regs for 2008. And i never knew there was a 2005 version of the regs.....

As a general note

How will you be complying with BS7671(2008) and Building Regulations Part P with respect to this project?

Thank you Taylor for making the effort to reply, even though your patronising tone isn't really necessary or called for.

I had already seen all the details you refer to, and as you must be aware, my specific question was not answered in those details.

You also must be aware that every piece of electrical equipment bought in this country has instructions that it should be installed by a competent electrician. Thia is a DIY site. If you don't think DIYers can install anything as simple as a heated towel rail then that remains your opinion.

My compliance with BS7671 and Part P was not in my question.

Sponsored Links
Thanks Ban, I agree that does seem a good enough answer, but as the thermostatic part is an option, I wanted to make sure that it was ok to have the actual thermostat control in zone 2.

When my LABC comes to visit on completion I want to be 100% sure he won't query the siting.

And here we have the reply from the horses mouth.

"All our thermostatic and non-thermostatic elements are IP54 certified
which means they can be fitted within zone 2. The actual head of the
element needs to be 60cm from any water outlet. "

So the liquid filled metal tubing is ok in zone 2, but the bit that makes it an electrical rail is not!!!!!

It says that the head has to be 60cm from a water outlet, not that it can't be in Zone 2...

So that is just a manufacturer's recommendation then, as it does not have any specific relevance to the established zones?

60cm from what I wonder....a mixer shower head on a 2m flexi hose?

To me, the 60cm they quoted related to the 60cm measurements used to define zone 2. If it doesn't then we're all none the wiser..... :confused:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back