electric windows

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Volks Lupo X reg, the electric window on the drivers side is becoming very slow to respond and very sluggish when it finally operates. Any suggestions?

Sponsored Links
It could be the electric motor on its way out, but first, remove your inner door panel and make sure it has got grease in the mecenisam, and that it running square in the runners and not binding.
Regards
Quick Fit

slow electric motors are dodgy business. Don't panic. the motor might just be rusty but not finished. If yours iis like a saab's and has regulators too then it's probably the window and regulator. The regulator is like crossed hinge metal brackets with a spring at the main hinge and with rails at the top to support the window glass. If the moving parts (hinges) (including the spring) in the regulator are rusty that means the motor has more load to work on.

If you want to repair it yourself you, at least, have to know how to remove the window glass. Haynes manual should have very good instructions and illustrations for your car. If you can get the motor out my trick is to use pure washing up to clean the rust. No water? (Remember if water gets into the motor you have to find a way of horough drying it out). Use a brush like tooth brush to work the rust out of motor teeth while pouring the pure washing up liquid on at reasonable intervals to lubricate and take the rust away. Wipe the motor with a dry cloth and test it at intervals until it runs fast enough. Do the same with the regulators - washing up liquid and brushing until it moves freely, that is, when you push it down and release it the spring can push it back up. You can now be sure that the motor will not have to lift the weight of the glass and also work against the friction in the regulators The springs will help in the upward movement and the weight glass will help in the downward movement thus leaving the motor to do the work it was designed for. Rememer to clean of all the washing up liquid and finally apply suitable grease to the moving parts of the motor and regulator before refitting. Good luck.

Tell your friends about the washing up liquid trick but also tell them I must have been the first person to make it public. I suspect someone must have used it before me just as someone invented the telephone before Bell.

CaesarG

Sponsored Links
Back